Strangest freeze or shutdown problem

So, I'm having just the strangest computer freezes and shutdown problems with my 5 month old computer. About a month ago, my surge protector failed and ruined my power supply. Took my computer to a local shop and said he had the weirdest issue with booting my system he'd ever seen. After a lengthy trouble shooting, he surmised that the hard drive itself was somehow affected as he could boot with any other functioning hard drive but not the one I had. Otherwise, no damage.

I got it back, paid for a new power supply and hard drive and re-install windows and everything seems okay for 3 hours as I'm setting up. I finish, start Minecraft, and the computer freezes. Not a BSOD but a total freeze. Nothing moves or responds. I turn off the computer and now there is a whine or squeal coming from the computer when the power supply is on. I can't tell if it's coming from the CPU or Mobo or where ever. The sound is drowned out when the computer is operating. Otherwise, no other strange noises.

Now whenever I get past login, the computer will either freeze or suddenly shut down whenever any program begins to run. Google, skype, start menu, etc. I start safe mode and it functions correctly. No freezes or crashes. I reset the system to before I installed a bunch of stuff to see if it what kind of problem I may have and it seemed to fix it for about an hour. When I installed the driver for my graphics card the computer froze again and the problem returned. I've checked the temps and fan speeds and they're all green and running as they ought to be.

I don't think I have a hardware issue but I'm not ruling it out. I'm currently using the computer to write this as it works perfectly in Safe Mode with Networking. This is one of the reasons I think it's a software problem. I've done everything I know to troubleshoot the issue and I can't find this problem with my Google-fu. I desperately want this problem fixed And I'd like to know if any of you know how to help.

Edit: I'm running Windows 7.

Last edited:
As far as the freezing. You might try remove the video driver. Do a clean install of the driver . To see if this maybe causing your problem. The sound you are hearing my may be one of your fans. As to witch one you would need to narrow it down.

Update is that after months of replacing the mobo, CPU & fans, and RAM Sticks, the problem remains. I've reinstalled windows multiple times and the problem persists. I'm a graphics card away from having a totally new computer. I'm thinking that the problem is my new power supply not being the correct one somehow. It puts out the same amount of power and connects everything the same way it's just a different make and model to the last one.

Back