TechSpot

Stuck at first screen "GATEWAY", can't load bios or do anything.

By JimmyDean
Oct 17, 2005
  1. I bought a Gateway 820GM last winter and have never cracked it open. It was running slugish and not opening SonicStage or iTunes but was opening folders and Mozilla. I couldn't restart so I just turned it off and when I turned it back on it shows the first screen which says "Gateway" and "<F2> to bios". It will not allow me to do anything. The only thing I have been doing different in the past few days is start using a Sony NW-HD1 walkman. I'm hoping my ram or motherboard is not corrupt. Any help would be very much appreciated.

2. Liquidlen

Liquidlen TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,646

Welcome to Techspot!
    First if you cannot access the Bios , you may have a password to enter.Is there a request when you try or just nothing .
    Next ,what exactly what were you doing or accessing? the applications that stop use a lot of memory and Temp files .
    How are your Free space numbers on your HDD/s
    You may just need to free up some Disk space by deleting Temp files ,Buffers and Temporary Internet files then do a Defrag.If you cannot get to Safe Mode , you might try pulling the Battery off the MB for 30 secounds then replace it, and/or Clear the Bios and enter Bios at reboot as you will have to re- do the settings,

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.