Stuck in a startup loop and F8 won't work

My emachine is suck in a startup loop.when i start it up, it will go from the E boot page to a black screen saying windows did not start properly... none of the options will work (Safe mode, last good configuration, etc.). i can't turn off the automatic restart for windows xp because i can't get that far. f8 or f12 wont do anything during bootup and the end result is the same... turn it on, the E boot screen, fail to start proper, all options go to windows xp startup screen and then a flash of a blue screen with a message on it that i can't read because it flashes for about a second. how do i get to a restore screen? very frustrated!

Put your windows install CD into the machine and force it to boot from that.
As you have XP ignore the first option to fix windows and proceed as it you are running a fresh install, At the second repair option say yes and ytou should get your O/S back.

Windows XP Startup LOOP

I have the exact same problem. It occurred when my computer shut off randomly, and I assumed it was dead since it wasn't on the charger, when I connected it to the charger, it charged for about 30 minutes or so and shut off again. I went to turn it back on and the startup screen came up displaying the - start windows normally, last known good configuration, etc. - I started windows normally the first time, only for a blue screen (that I can't read, since it disappears so quickly) to pop up and I get redirected to the startup page. I then went on to try 'last known good configuration' and I got the same result. I've tried every option, all of them being no help. I have no idea what happened...if you find out anything about this, please let me know! Thanks!

You have either
a) failed hard drive (very common with laptops)
b) bad memory module
c) corrupt windows.
eliminate c) by following the instructions above in post #2 and tell us what happens

Back