Stuck on loading

Status
Not open for further replies.

bdb25

For about a week my computer sometimes takes along time to boot.

It will post and start loading windows, with the blue scrolling bar and the XP logo, however it can stay on this for up to 8 minutes at time continuously scrolling, after the initial hard drive activity it just sits there. Once windows loads everything is ok. It seems to be an intermitant problem, and half the time it only takes 20 or so seconds for it to get past the scroll bar. Most of the time it happens when i'm booting from cold, and if i restart after i've been using the pc its ok.

I've tried disabling different items from starting up, and i've tried using Microsoft Bootvis, this works for one boot but then goes back to being delayed again. I've flashed my bios with the latest version, and run my hard drive manafacturers detailed error checking software.

I'm running a desktop pc with XP pro

AMD 64 3500+ - processor
DFI LanParty SLI-D - mobo
XFX 6800 LE - graphics card
1GB (2 x 512) GeIL Ultra RAM
Hitachi Deskstar 160GB SATA II hard drive

when I boot up XP, i go through all the post, and get the lanparty screen from my mobo. I then have problems when XP begins to load. When it starts you get the XP logo with the black background n the blue bar at the bottom that moves from left to right.

Hope this helps n makes more sense, thanks in advance.

the bar could be check disk. what else shows up on the screen? any writings other than logo?
* it could be related to faulty ram (most likely suspect)
try memtest if you have 2 sticks of ram, take them out one at a time to find faulty ram stick.
* it could be related to overheating (even though amd is known to operate despite overheating - intel does not - it slows down)
* it could be related to bad sectors on the hard disk.
* it could be related to power supply.
what's the wattage on your power supply unit?
any overclocking being done on the cpu?

I've got an **Tagan** TG480-U01 480W PSU.

Its just the normal XP loading screen that shows up it just sometimes takes forever to load up.

I've checked the RAM and thats fine.
Its usually from a cold boot, when I havent been using my pc that it happens, also, I've checked the temp of all my components and my CPU doesnt go over about 40 degrees.
I've done a chkdsk and a diagnostic check from hitachi's website and both of them came up with my hard disk being clean.

I havent done any overclocking at all

Attached is a pic of the screen that it gets stuck on.

Attachments

• boot.gif
    boot.gif
    9 KB · Views: 5
that's the normal win-xp load wait screen. it should not take 8 minutes. max 10-20 seconds, if that.
what kind of programs are you running on the machine?
is win-xp sp1? sp2? which build? (right click my computer/properties).
if you have several applications on the machine, uninstall them one at a time. to find the culprit.
also, go to setting / control panel / admin tools / services
disable the following:
alerter
clipbook
computer browser
human interface device access
network DDE
network DDE DSM
routing and remote access
telnet
indexing service
before disable them, write down what they were before you disable them.
these are all extra stuff that you don't need to run.
then check start up and see what else starts up:
click start / run /
type msconfig and press enter

look in the startup tab and see what runs at startup
post back.

i'm running XP Pro SP2 version 2002

i'm not running much on the machine, i've dissabled all the processes i dont need in msconfig, and i've also disabled the services i dont need, all that loads at startup is Zonealarm, my logitech keyboard software and my graphic and sound drivers. All those services you mentioned i already have disabled.

I've run a Microsoft Bootvis scan to see if its any of the drivers or programs that are starting and it says not, during the 8 minute or so wait it displays nothing as happening. Bootvis seems to make my computer boot normally the first time after using it but then returns to being slow.

ok, my conclusion is that the culprint is zonealarm.
it maybe checking for viruses or something.
uninstall it.
try the machine.
you can always install it with options that specifies not to run it at start up and run it when you want to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back