Study finds Apple Watch can detect heart problems with 97% accuracy

midian182

Staff member

Fresh from the news that its Apple Watch has helped the Cupertino company oust Fitbit as the world’s top wearables vendor, a new study suggests the device could have an unexpected use: Detecting abnormal heart rhythms.

A study by researchers from the University of San Francisco presented at Heart Rhythm 2017 reveals that the heart sensor built into the Apple Watch could be used to detect conditions like arrhythmia and atrial fibrillation (AF) with 97 percent accuracy.

Over the course of several months, the researchers gathered data from 6158 users of the Cardiogram app for the Apple Watch. 200 of the subjects had been diagnosed with paroxysmal atrial fibrillation. The engineers used the data to feed a deep neural network that learned to distinguish between a healthy heartbeat and AF.

The system was tested on 51 hospital patients set to undergo cardioversions, a procedure that restores the heart’s normal rhythm. By wearing the Watch and using the app for 20 minutes before and after the operations, it was found that the AI correctly detected AF 97 percent of the time.

“Our results show that common wearable trackers like smartwatches present a novel opportunity to monitor, capture and prompt medical therapy for atrial fibrillation without any active effort from patients,” Dr. Gregory Marcus, Director of Clinical Research at UCSF’s Division of Cardiology, said in a statement.

2.7 million Americans suffer from AF, according to the American Heart Association. It leads to blood clots, stroke, heart failure and other heart-related complications. With the illness being quite difficult to diagnose, wearables like the Apple Watch could help save lives.

“While mobile technology screening won’t replace more conventional monitoring methods, it has the potential to successfully screen those at an increased risk and lower the number of undiagnosed cases of AF,” Marcus added.

Permalink to story.

How much accurate would be an Apple watch versus a Fitbit watch with HR? I'm wondering because this has been extremely useful for tracking a lot of different activities throughout the day, even if you are not a fit enthusiast or just a casual guy who wants to set some goals for the day.

How much accurate would be an Apple watch versus a Fitbit watch with HR?
That's exactly what I was wondering because as long as they both have the hardware to track the person's heartbeat, the rest is software based (and it doesn't matter if it's an Apple Watch or not).

Basically, praising the Apple Watch for doing something any device with HR hardware seems odd. Is there something I'm missing?

How much accurate would be an Apple watch versus a Fitbit watch with HR?
That's exactly what I was wondering because as long as they both have the hardware to track the person's heartbeat, the rest is software based (and it doesn't matter if it's an Apple Watch or not).

Basically, praising the Apple Watch for doing something any device with HR hardware seems odd. Is there something I'm missing?
A logo

apple-logo_318-40184.jpg

Horse manure man!!! iSheep will believe anything. All optical heart rate sensors for reputable, branded wearables are manufactured by just a few reputable companies, if that many. Apple will use the same ODM's as all of them, just their algorithms will be different. Optical HRM's, while being 'accurate enough' for measuring heart rate, aren't as accurate as a reputable chest strap HRM's and even those come with a stipulation "Not For Medical Purposes" clearly printed on the box.
I wouldn't be at all surprised if the next article about them says "Research shows that Apple devices could save mankind from an alien invasion".

Yes the Apple poison watch that puts a electronic chip right over your arteries that tells you that your heart isn't working because the Apple watch interferes with the natural rhythms of your heart. What has happened to common sense - oh yeah I forgot - that is app is no longer available.

Go to forum mode and you'll see an option near the top center to insert an image link. Get a direct link to the image and it will display in the comment

Ohhhh ok thanks @yRaz

I wish Techspot wpuld let people just upload an image without using the image's URL source.
Also wish Techspot made an official mobile app.

Last edited:
Yes the Apple poison watch that puts a electronic chip right over your arteries that tells you that your heart isn't working because the Apple watch interferes with the natural rhythms of your heart. What has happened to common sense - oh yeah I forgot - that is app is no longer available.

No actually it does not do that, and there is no "chip over your arteries" I don't know where you're getting your info. But it's not true. @commanderasus

No actually it does not do that, and there is no "chip over your arteries" I don't know where you're getting your info. But it's not true. @commanderasus
I guess we could all read the /s without it there... he tried to be funny, but he failed big time.
I wish Techspot wpuld let people just upload an image without using the image's URL source.
Yes, more spam images are always nice to have.
Also wish Techspot made an official mobile app.
Why? The "official" apps tend to be an emulated browser session with push notifications, pin it in your favourite app and enjoy :)

I guess we could all read the /s without it there... he tried to be funny, but he failed big time.
Yes, more spam images are always nice to have.
Why? The "official" apps tend to be an emulated browser session with push notifications, pin it in your favourite app and enjoy :)

What do you mean by 'I guess we could all read the /s without it there... he tried to be funny, but he failed big time.'? I don't think anyone was trying to be funny..

And they're not "spam images" just images that people upload onto these forums cuz they can that's what the option is there for. BUT that being said if someone were to upload an image of something that's irrelevant to the forum with say - I don't know- a random Star Wars or Arthur fist meme (for example) or something like that then THAT would be spam which no one likes. Of course.

And lastly about the "official Techspot app", I don't know I just think that, in my own opinion, it would be a lot better and simpler than to have to look at the website every time you want to see the lastest tech news and it would be a lot easier too. Especially for those, like me, who use their mobile devices to on this website. But this is MY OWN OPINION! If you don't like my opinion(s) &/or others opinion(s) that comment on this site then who cares? It isn't going to change anything. @Kibaruk

Horse manure man!!! iSheep will believe anything. All optical heart rate sensors for reputable, branded wearables are manufactured by just a few reputable companies, if that many. Apple will use the same ODM's as all of them, just their algorithms will be different. Optical HRM's, while being 'accurate enough' for measuring heart rate, aren't as accurate as a reputable chest strap HRM's and even those come with a stipulation "Not For Medical Purposes" clearly printed on the box.
I wouldn't be at all surprised if the next article about them says "Research shows that Apple devices could save mankind from an alien invasion".

We Apple fans, aka iFans; are not "iSheep". We just REALLY like Apple and Apple products. That's it. And btw Apple has done amazing and unbelievable things in the medical field. Apple has helped kids learn to read, learn, and more. As well as help countless people who have AIDS. Ever heard of Product (RED)? Well if ya go over to Apple.com and you order either a RED iPod touch 5th/6th generation, iPhone 7/7+ then Apple themselves will donate a huge % of your bill to help those who have AIDS AND not only that, but Apple voluntarily donates millions and millions of dollars to charities all around the globe. You may not hear about all the time but they do! If you don't like Apple &/or their products then that's ok that's your opinion. But don't go making comments like "iSheeps will believe (or buy) anything". We Apple fans "Think Different". Why? Cuz we can! @Skidmarksdeluxe

We Apple fans, aka iFans; are not "iSheep". We just REALLY like Apple and Apple products. That's it. And btw Apple has done amazing and unbelievable things in the medical field. Apple has helped kids learn to read, learn, and more. As well as help countless people who have AIDS. Ever heard of Product (RED)? Well if ya go over to Apple.com and you order either a RED iPod touch 5th/6th generation, iPhone 7/7+ then Apple themselves will donate a huge % of your bill to help those who have AIDS AND not only that, but Apple voluntarily donates millions and millions of dollars to charities all around the globe. You may not hear about all the time but they do! If you don't like Apple &/or their products then that's ok that's your opinion. But don't go making comments like "iSheeps will believe (or buy) anything". We Apple fans "Think Different". Why? Cuz we can! @Skidmarksdeluxe
You can only speak for yourself, not all iSheep. You like Apples stuff? That's perfectly fine. No one says you mustn't.

Actually I was speaking for both myself, and in general, on behalf of my fellow iFans. If you don't like Apple or their products that's on you. If you don't like the fact that people like buying new Apple products then too bad deal with it! And please STOP POSTING HATE COMMENTS! And also we are NOT "isheep" sure we love Apple and what they make but that's it. We don't worship Apple Inc. like it's a god! So quiet saying "iSheep" it's very annoying and really uncalled for. KEEP YOUR HATE COMMENTS TO YOURSELF! @Skidmarksdeluxe
Yes, you are handling the situation perfectly fine, not generating any kind of hatred yourself, kudos iFan user, you are a perfect example. You are simply helping spam the threads because you don't know how to edit a comment, don't know how to use quote twice in a single message, and so on. Would say stop but already ignored you :) I just wish that Techspot would finally implement the ignore part on newsmode.

You like Apple stuff? Good for you.

Back