TechSpot

Study finds playing video games gives a boost to certain regions of the brain

By Shawn Knight
Nov 5, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. I was always told growing up that playing video games was a waste of time. Turns out, those people were wrong. A new study published in Molecular Psychiatry found that video gaming causes increases in the brain regions responsible for...

Read more

2. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 1,978   +390

Id like to see, out of curiosity, this same test done for say, hours a day, or something like.

3. lchu12

lchu12 TS Enthusiast Posts: 199   +9

Yes, get the our vets with PTSD to play battlefield 4...actually even without PTSD, I stayed away from those games for awhile after my time away.

lmike6453 and gamoniac like this.
  4. 9Nails

9Nails TechSpot Paladin Posts: 994   +89

Ooh, put the same test against television watchers! I've always heard that the TV will rot your brain because its a sedentary and passive activity that keeps you from engaging in more meaningful exercise.

At least gamers can now show that they're exercising parts of the brain! =)

freythman likes this.
  5. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,406   +1,592

Sheesh, maybe those who thought there would not be any effects, needs to start playing games so it will increase there chances of actually thinking.

6. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,082   +920

And just because I read this on reddit this morning, I made sure to play BF4 before studying for my exams today. Lets see if it works!

Arris likes this.
  7. Littleczr

Littleczr TS Booster Posts: 411   +79

Wonder if all the time spent playing warcraft 3 mad me smarter.

lmike6453 likes this.
  8. jester376

jester376 TS Enthusiast Posts: 53

Well while video games may increase some of the brain functions, its not good to be a game addict either. You need to study and do different things while playing videogames in between those things somewhere. If all you do is play video games, you're going to have a well developed small part of the brain while most of the brain remains undeveloped, and starts to fall into a state of stupidity.

treetops likes this.
  9. NTAPRO

NTAPRO TS Enthusiast Posts: 811   +91

Best example of hand eye coordination lol

10. This isn't really that surprising. It may be a game for entertainment, but you still have to think to play it. Some games incorporate reaction time, fine motor skills and strategy in degrees the average person would never experience as part of their day to day. This is a 2 month study involving 30 minutes a day of a *relatively* tame video game in regards to complexity - the motor control, game physics and strategy are relatively simple to master (this is arguably overstated). I'd like to see a study of someone who plays strategy games or real time physics based games with high skill ceilings year after year. I've been doing it for 20 solid years now and I can (in my opinion) make a stiff argument about translation to real world metrics, though I've no EEG attached to my face. Its surely debatable, but food for thought.

PS - Forced advertisement in the captcha is super lame, but I get it...

11. Twixtea

Twixtea TS Rookie Posts: 87

You know camping in cs, strategic planning an **** :D

12. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,423   +822

Does this explain why Jonathan Wendell is so swollen headed?

13. They forgot to mention that it also shrinks the tiny region of the brain responsible for telepathy.

14. Trillionsin

Trillionsin TS Evangelist Posts: 1,110   +45

Well no sh*t sorry, but this was assumed...

15. davislane1

davislane1 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,599   +628

I think it's time for me to build some uranium mines. I strongly suggest everyone on this forum sign a treaty with me immediately.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.