stumped and scratching my head

Status
Not open for further replies.
my cd rom and dvd player are not being recognized. what is weird is that they both have power and appear to be ok.they are even on seperate IDEs.driver update an reinstall dont work.device manager sees them and displays an error code 41 .device manager shows them with yellow astericsts (sic) next to them .troubleshooter says.....Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the hardware device. (Code 41) tried new drivers nothing works. !one important thing i am missing vol.exe file for xp that is associated with the volume control in the tray. cant find disc to reinstall ...ahhemm. sorry computer was put together for me and i didnt get a copy of windows. any ideas? any help would be appreciated.

Try phisically re-installing the drive. Remember to start the pc up once without the drive.

Do disks which have auto-run work even though they don't appear in My Computer? Just wondering about this maybe be garbage but I still wana know

SCHUMIinSA said:
Try phisically re-installing the drive. Remember to start the pc up once without the drive.

Do disks which have auto-run work even though they don't appear in My Computer? Just wondering about this maybe be garbage but I still wana know
nothing works and i did physicall un and re installed with boot inbetween every thing you would expect happened creative disc detector is on

You did not tell me weather auto-run disks work?

Something like NFS-UG2 where it goes straight into the game if you insert the disk.

YOur best solution is to get a legal copy o XP and do a format and reinstall of windows.

try this

Before you go to all that trouble, try this: support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314060. I had the same problem, and this fixed it. It just involves changing a couple of items in the registry, and this article has the instructions. :monkey:

he reinstalled his OS tho, which would give him a whole new registry.. so i doubt his registry is his problem

please try it

Samuel- please try the URL I gave you- here is a quote from the page:
"CD-ROM access is missing and messages cite error code 31, code 32, code 19, code 39, or code 41.........Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the hardware device. (Code 41)."

Follow the instructions carefully, being sure to back up your registry before you proceed. I had to do this once during my previous install, and once after a re-install. It is obviously a recurring problem with Windows, as it happens using numerous different DVD/CD softwares.

Let me know how it goes. :)

Are they showing up as devices in the bios/pre-Windows screen (The one that shows what IDE devices are connected)? If not then the problem is not within windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back