Stupid and probably costly mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I upgraded my computer I had to get a CPU cooler for my processor (OEM). However it turned out to be unreliable and an expert advised me to get something different soon (the cooler was a thermaltake CPU watercooler BTW). So I got a Tuniq Tower 120 Ultra Silent CPU Cooler. Putting this CPU cooler in though required that I take out the motherboard and put a metal plate on the back of it. To put the plate on though I had to take the plate from the old CPU cooler off (which was on there with a black pad that had glue on it). It was stuck on there pretty good and I simply couldn't get it off using just my hands. Now here is where I messed up BIG TIME. I got a flat head screw driver and essentially pried off the old metal plate. When I got it off I noticed I had made a few minor scratches on the back of the motherboard where the plate had been. I knew that was bad but I put the new CPU cooler on anyway and sort of hoped everything would be fine. I put everything back together but now when I turn on my computer everything turns on, except nothing shows up on my monitor and there are no beeps coming from my computer (it always beeps once when starting up correctly). I've checked all the connections, put the RAM in different slots, took out the RAM completely to see if my system would beep at all, and cleared the CMOS. Everything worked before I put in the new CPU cooler, so I don't think the video card is bad. Anyway, I'm just wondering is there anything else I can try to make sure I didn't bust my motherboard? Also for future reference, what is a good way to get something off that is stuck on the back of a motherboard with a sticky pad like the one's that are on those CPU coolers? (Also if it's any significance, the motherboard is a ASUS Striker Extreme.) Thanks for any and all help.

Generally, you can try WD-40 to remove adhesives. Then use electronics degreaser to remove the residue. NEVER force anything on a motherboard. They're fragile. Also there is no need to replace the cooler and replace it unless there is some other purpose in mind. I don't ever recommend overclocking, but this is a reason.

All it takes to damage a motherboard enough to cause problems is a scratch or a slight gouge in it. They are very sensitive. I'd say your mb needs to be tested and perhaps replaced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back