TechSpot

SU0 mpeg file creates itself causing explorer to crash

By jellyhead
Jul 13, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have a problem where when I open Windows Explorer and I get an error saying "Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close ... ", followed by an error saying "Dr Watson Postmortem debugger has encountered a problem and needs to close ... ". The only way to get rid of it is to go into Task Manager and End Task. Although I can still do things in the background, with the error message still on the screen.

I have narrowed it down to a WMP file called SU0 (0kb). If this file is in a folder, I am unable to open that folder without getting the error. I have searched both C: and D: drives for this file and deleted several instances of the file. However, it seems to re-invent itself and shows up again and again.

I have googled the file but haven't found anything specific.

I am running a Pentium 4 with XP Media Center 05 and run up-to-date anti-virus and Microsoft Anti-Spyware every day.
  2. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 8,165

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.