Subsetting (thinning) Files

By YossiD
Jan 21, 2015
Post New Reply
  1. I use the free version of TimeSnapper to help with reporting hours worked on various projects. The program saves a screen capture (png) at a user specified capture rate. To keep the logs manageable I have set the capture rate at one capture every 5 minutes.

Recently the program reset itself to its default of one capture every 5 seconds. I now have several days of log files that I would like to thin down to one capture every 5 minutes, because the capture files are taking up too much space and I have to browse through too many files to find what I want.

Does anyone know of a way to thin these files down, leaving me with only one capture every 5 minutes. To complicate issues, TimeSnapper stops capturing when the computer is not in use (as when I'm in a meeting or at lunch), so it's not quite as simple as keeping every 60th file and deleting the rest.

2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,145   +597

So you are pruning file content, not the number of files per se.

How precise does the 'very 5 minutes' need to be? Why is not 'every 60th record' not sufficient?