Successfully reset dell inspiron 2200, now cdrw and HD dont pick up

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello all,

i was trying to remove the bootup password for a dell inspiron 2200 notebook and finally managed to remove it by taking out the mb and locating the atmel chip 24c05 (located on the bottom of the mb next to the memory socket).

i found that you need to turn on the power, and immediately when you see the screen flicker, short out the pins. the laptop turns off automatically. then remove the paperclip (i didnt have a paperclip so i used a staple in case anyone cares) and reboot the laptop. it was in that "fn" mode so i took it out by hitting [fn] + [X].

now i can enter the bios fine, but there is no info displayed for the service tag, ownership tag, and asset tag. also, the HD and and cdrw dont appear in the bios.

i removed the hd and placed it in an external hd enclosure (for 2.5" drives) and plugged it into my pc and i can read the files fine so the hard drive definitely works.

has anyone run into this problem before? any help would be greatly appreciated. this is not my laptop so i'm not sure if they ever did work or not before the password situation.

thanx for any help,

gabriel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back