Sudden BSOD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey

I've come across another problem with my desktop PC. This morning when I tried to turn it on, I get a blue screen error message just as the windows logo comes up.

PC SPECS:
- Windows XP, SP3.
- AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5600+, MMX, 3DNow (2 CPUs), 2.91GHz
- 1GB NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT
- 4GB RAM (2x2GB sticks)

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Disable or uninstall and anti-virus, disk defragmentation or backup utilities. Check your hard drive configuration, and check for any updated drivers. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and restart you computer.

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x00000024 (0x001902FE, 0xB84EB0A4, 0XB84EADA0, 0X8AE69895)

I'm unable to go into safe mode as I get a screen full of errors within my 'partitions' folder and it just says to hit ESC to cancel loading sptd.sys.

I've used the Windows Recovery Tool on startup to perform CHKDSK /P and CHKDSK /R. '/P' found one or more errors during its scan, but after running '/R' it finds no more - and I'm still unable to startup. I've also tried running memtest from a bootable CD but my PC shuts down about 3 seconds into the test, so I can't do much with that.

I scanned often for viruses etc before all this happened so it's less likely for it to be a problem regarding that (edit: after reading about users with similar problems, it does seem like a virus). But, last night while my PC was on, there was a power surge for about half a second at my house - but I didn't think much of it because my computer tower and monitor remained turned on and worked perfectly for the next few hours (my TV and one or two other appliances did turn off). Could this have caused something?

Is my best option right now trying to recover all my data from the HDD, putting it onto a external hard drive, formatting it completely and putting all the data back? If so, what program would you recommend to do this with?

If not, what other solutions would you recommend?

PS. I do have the original XP install disk.

Kind regards,
Pete.

1. It would still be wise at this point to back up all important data.

2. Go to your harddrive manufacture's website and download and their free harddrive diagnostic utility. Run the tests on your harddrive especially the long one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back