Sudden drive failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adhmuz

Well this strikes me as very odd, today, and for well over a month now, my PC was running perfectly fine when tonight windows was wanting me to do a shutdown to install updates. I was talking on the phone so I just let it do its thing. Updates installed as usual and then my PC shutdown. This all seemed to work as usual with no problems, however the problem starts from this. When I turned my PC on again my primary drive had disappeared. And I don't mean just the partition, disk 0 in my bios no longer shows up. I tried changes the plugs around (plugging it into disk 1 sata port and vice versa to test if it was a plug problem) that was not the problem. I checked the power supply plug, not the problem. I put the drive in an external enclosure and connected it to my laptop and it doesn't appear. The light on the enclosure just show purple (blue being working/stand by, red being failure and purple being disk access) I let it sit for a couple minutes but nothing. I can feel the drive spinning and it does heat up a little (it doesn't get too hot either) I already know this is not an OS related problem because the drive just doesn't want to be recognized. The drive is less than a year old and is a Seagate 750GB. I can get more information on the drive if you believe it to be helpful. This drive is by far my most important drive unfortunately and its loss would be more than a significant pain in the back side. To think of all days this is to happen it happens on my birthday...

Any help or advice is always appreciated, thanks.

Sucks dude, sounds dead to me. I've never had one fail that way though (and I've had several die on me).

Well its covered under warranty so I can send it in to Seagate and they'll send me back a new one, the more I think about it the more I realize I'm losing so much stuff that I won't be able to get back. Thus far my Western Digitals have the best track record.

i'd get an ide / sata adapter, take it out of your computer and try connecting it another system. See if it's recognized. Easier to also attempt any recovery that way and only cost you $30 or so bucks for an adapter cable (as i recall). (and be certain to get something that also provides its own AC power. Don't rely on computer to provide it its power)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back