Sudden FPS drop after 15 min

Deltree

I have a i7 4790k stock cooler, 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X@1600, MSI Z97 Gaming 7 mobo, EVGA 750w PSU and a pitiful Radeon HD 5770 GPU running on Windows 8.1. I have used this rig for 6 months now and suddenly I lose half my framerate after 15 mins of gaming. This happens in all games. My rig is not dusty, my drivers are up to date and I have run Malwarebytes. My CPU temp is 60-65c in game and I have seen it crush video production at 80+c for 15 min with no problems and benchmarked with Intel XTU to the tune of 100+c before thermal throttling kicked in, so I feel like 60-65c temps are not an issue here. The FPS drop does not seem to be linked to GPU either, I can overclock my GPU a tiny bit with CCC and it seems to give me a few extra FPS when OC'd a few less with stock settings, but I get this huge FPS drop in say: Pillars of Eternity, while standing around doing literally nothing after 15 mins or so. Restarting the game does not help. I must restart my PC to get my 60+FPS back in any game, which holds solid for 15 mins or so until it goes back to 30FPS or less. Any ideas? I get my GPU is old but these games run screaming fast for long enough before stopping I have a hard time thinking a GPU upgrade is the only fix. I am worried about the health of my PC.

I have since installed MSI Afterburner and it reads temps 20c hotter than CCC reads. Which is correct? 75c does seem a bit toasty if MSI Afterburner is correct. Am I crazy?

Same issues. games run 60+fps at boot for 10 mins or so and then everything slows down until I reboot. seeing a drop in CPU temp as well by about 10-20c when the framerate drops. wish I had a different GPU for testing. (or just using) a chum said GPU temps of 60-75c are no big deal. 90+ is a bad time. still stumped.

I cleaned the GPU and applied fresh thermal paste before posting to no avail. Quite impressed with the plastic ref design not collecting too much dust. I have a 750w EVGA gold PSU, I hope it is not the issue. Sad times. The GPU is the only part of this setup that is old. All other parts ordered within the same week 5 months ago.

Back