Sudden Win XP freezing problem at startup

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoundedWolf

I have been running a clean install of Windows XP Home Edition on my PC for about 4 months now. I haven't had any problems before today. I don't install frivilous programs and I have McAfee Virusscan and Firewall running at all times.

I am connected to DSL on this machine and this PC happens to also be my internet gateway/router machine for my home network. I usually shut down this PC in the evenings. I used it yesterday most of the day with no problems and then shut it down last night. This evening I turned it on when I got home and the Win XP startup froze at the first splash screen, the one with the progress bar that moves from left to right (kind of like KITT from Knight Rider).

Anyway, I restarted several times with the same result. The progress bar would move for about 10 seconds, then it would get ratchety and then finally freeze. I am able to startup OK in Safe Mode. I can connect to the internet through my DSL if I go into Safe Mode with Networking, but of course my Virusscan and Firewall will not work in Safe Mode, so I'm kinda exposed right now.

I haven't heard of any new viruses that would cause this. I am up to date on all my Windows Updates and virus definition files. I checked MSCONFIG and didn't see any malicious looking files in the SYSTEM.INI, WIN.INI, Services, or Startup. I could really use some help here because I am really stuck.

Anybody else having this problem? Any help is appreciated.

-WW

Try to startup just once with BOOTLOG (or whatever it is in XP) enabled. After it gets stuck, restart in safe-mode without Bootlog.
Now read that bootlog. Most likely the last entry will tell you on what driver or other thingie it is hanging.

Weirdest thing, I got home last night and turned on my computer and it booted up fine! I have no idea what this was all about. I have been using it all day without a problem. Very strange.

Thanks for the post, realblackstuff. I am more of an brown or scotch ale guy myself, but I'd be happy to have a Guiness or Murphy's with you anyday.

Happy 100th Bloomsday.

-WW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back