Suddenly can't delet mssgs in OE6

Status
Not open for further replies.

lisalisa

All of a sudden I can't delete my messages! I have tried it every way but Outlook refuses. Any help is appreciated -

Have you deleted many messages before? You may need to compact your message files or just empty the deleted items folder (right-click on it)

Got my answer

I've posted so many places.. anyway somebody sent me an email, told me to delete the deleted files folder from my hard drive, which I did, and it worked! BUT, I lost another folder full of messages in the meantime. I do business on the web so I have a lot of sub-folders and this was one of them.. anyway .. I think I got a bug or a virus or something awhile back and my 'puters never been quite the same since. There were a ton of mssgs, all fairly big, 25-75kb, they were all from 1 person whose mail always come w/headers from some reason. Aaaanyway thank you for the feedback, nice to know there are places to go w/out having to pay for advice!!:)

Me Too

I was wondering if someone could post the fix, because I'm suffering from the same bug as "lisalisa".

Everytime I try to delete ANY message in Outlook (including those in my 'spam' or 'deleted' or 'sent' folders) I get the message that Outlook returned an unknown error and that I need to restart Outlook.

Needless to say, I have restarted Outlook (and my computer) several times, to no avail.

I have also tried Detect and Repair. No luck.

Thanks!

Clay

Dreslough
Look under Tools>Options>Maintenance
There you will see how to do some regular housekeeping.
Remember to Save important emails in a diferent folder before deleting.Also check the amount of space set aside for the folder's capacity andcompare it to the amount of free space you have.

Hello Lisa and Dreslough !

I guess...You both are not up to date with Microsoft products. In the case of an e-mail borne attack, if the user was using Outlook Express 6.0 or Outlook 2002 in their default configurations, or Outlook 98 or 2000 in conjunction with the Outlook Email Security Update, then an attack could not be automated and the user would still need to click on a URL sent in the e-mail. However if the user was not using Outlook Express 6.0 or Outlook 2002 in their default configurations, or Outlook 98 or 2000 in conjunction with the Outlook Email Security Update, the attacker could cause an attack to trigger automatically without the user having to click on a URL contained in an e-mail. In both the web based and e-mail based cases, any limitations on the user’s privileges would also restrict the capabilities of the attacker’s script.

So go ahead and update your machine ..

FYI...

MS Bulletin MS04-004
Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer (832894)
- http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/...in/MS04-004.asp
"...
Impact of vulnerability: Remote Code Execution
Maximum Severity Rating: Critical..."

(Cumulative update for IEv6 contains 3 patches)

Use WindowsUpdate
-or- download the patch from here:
- http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...&displaylang=en

Dreslough
Your Outlook Express problems may be fixed thus:
Ensure that OE is closed
Navigate to a folder called 'folders.dbx'. This will be located in your identity folder in the OE folder. The location will depend on your OS.
Delete folders.dbx
Open Outlook Express.
Folders.dbx manages the inbox, outbox etc folders in OE. On occasion it becomes corrupted, causing,among others, the symptoms you describe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back