Suggestion about Networking/Storage Category

REB_ElMagnifico

First of all...I love the site. I learn a lot from other people's problems and solutions. I just have a suggestion that has crossed my mind a couple of times since I have been a member. I think it would be better if Networking and Storage were seperated to be two seperate catagories. Netwoking is such a big issue, especially nowadays with home networking becoming so popular. I just think it should be in a category of it's own.

Thanks

I always thought they should have a RANT forum. Just so people can post about how mad they are at technology. But that's just me.

Well, I think its ok as is, I don't think there are enough posts to have networking posts get pushed too far down by storage questions, or storage getting pushed by networking. What I'm trying to say is that forum doesn't get THAT much traffic as is. Splitting would only make less.

A problem with making another forum is you also have to find people to moderate it, moderating requires a bit of time, and each forum needs proabably at least 2 regular mods (in different time zones, preferably close to 12 hours apart).

I wouldn't mind becoming a moderator/ super moderator for a new forum just let me know I ll keep everything up and going.

Rant forums are pointless. Noone will read your rants anyway and you will not get anything useful out of it. And when someone replies it will very likely be flames especially if you happened to make an inapprpriate and/or not-so-well-thought-out remark about brand X/technology Y.
If you want to let some steam out then go and open up Notepad :p

Notepad, ha!

The point of a RANT forum is for fun, not flames. Flame wars are because of people's "opinions", not because the technology they use really sucks.

In other words, if the stuff they use drives them mad, so be it.
I was thinking along the lines of "if we complain, somebody may fix it" ideology.

But I see your point.

I don't know about the fixing part..
If I see a ranty post a la more than 5 lines of text per paragraph then I just don't bother to read it. Unless it's in one of my forums of course :p

And how the hell are you supposed to help someone who clearly isn't thinking straight, blames everything for his problems, has tried everything to "fix" them (causing a dozen of new issues) and will probably snap the very moment someone hints that the main issue just might be between the chair and the keyboard.

I'm ranting here, aren't I? Sorry about that :p

Exactly!

Never enter a rant forum with the idea that you'll help anybody. Either laugh at their pain, or agree :)

I don't know, maybe it's my personality, but when I read somebody ranting about some technology and all the problems they are having, it's just funny.

So that's a "no" on the ranting.

What's the point of ranting, if you don't like technology then what are you doing on this site? Why do you even have a computer if you want to rant about it, why do you have the internet, the internet is TECHNOLOGY!! This website is about technology it was made using computers it is run using computer you access it using a computer so what is the point of ranting about it?

I think it will just cause more problems than it's worth. And honestly if you want to rant about something, take it out on your little sister / brother.

People will get carried away with their language and just cause problems that I personally don't want to have to deal with.

BillGates said:
I wouldn't mind becoming a moderator/ super moderator for a new forum just let me know I ll keep everything up and going.

I wouldn't hold your breath. We only make people moderators here who have served the community well for quite some time, demonstrating maturity, helpfulness and sense it every turn. It took most of the mods here quite some time to be recognised in this way. And I am afraid there are plenty of people in the queue ahead of you, sorry.

i believe the rant forum would detract from the site's orientation towards compent discussion and helpfulness.

Yes what a nice wonderful cheery forum you have! But you know the saying goes, "people gotta pee, might as well give em a bathroom".

Seriously, I don't want a rant forum. I'm a "solver" by nature, not a "ranter".

You guys are to much...

It is easier to mop up an occasional puddle and smack the wrongdoer than to clean the bathroom every five minutes. Thing is, the people who got to pee tend to do it in a very uncivilised manner.

And besides, there are bathrooms just around the corner - we are not keeping you from making a mess in other forums/blogs/chats etc :p

Back