Suggestion about the guides

tripleione

First I'd just like to say how great this site is for computer tweaking. I'd say it's the best out there as far as the quality and completeness of the tweak guides are concerned.

That said, I'd just like to offer a suggestion for the guides on the site. Even though they all can still be used, I'd think the site visitors (including myself) would all appreciate updates to some of the guides (one in particular would be the GeForce tweak guide... especially with the introduction of the newer drivers. If I'm not mistaken, the last time the guide was updated was March 2002; this was when the now ancient v23.11 drivers were still being used). Certainly some of the guides now contain irrelevant information regarding some of the tweaks as they are either no longer there or have no effect on performance on hardware or software. Although all the guides can still be used to tweak hardware to an extent, I think some updates would help some folks further optimize their hardware beyond what the current guides could do.

Also, I believe a few of the guides could be taken off as they are no longer needed or read by site visitors. A few examples would be the Detenator Driver Comparison guide, Hidden Surface Removal Guide, and the Voodoo3 tweak guide. I'm sure that there are still people out there using Voodoo3's in their computer, but I doubt that they would be playing games with it (or if they are, it's something really simple like Quake, Half-Life or Tribes). The Detenator Driver Comparison guide is no longer of any use at all since the current drivers have far surpassed the ones used in the guide. Finally, the Hidden Surface guide is practically unusable anymore since the buying-out of 3dfx. It's probably better classified as one of those "hit or miss" type of guides--either you already know about and don't need the guide, or you don't know about it (or need it) and won't bother to read it.

Anyway, I appreciate anyone who takes the time to read and maybe consider my suggestion. Thanks and keep up the great work.

Thanks for your comments, it's all appreciated.
As article archiving goes, we will probably put some of your suggestions into practice once we go live with a new dynamic management system for the whole site (say 1-2 months away), as for other guides that can be updated, I'm sure Thomas will do everything possible, requests are also welcomed so we can give priority to a certain article over another.

didn't thomas start out @ tweak3d.net?

this is the same guy who wrote tweaks with dan kennedy isn't it?...................it's part of the reason i've come over here......................tweak3d.net used to be a pretty intresting site until lately.........i still keep it to favorites due to the number of tweaks archived.................written by thomas and dan.....am i correct?.....................well anyway, some of the tweaks are old.........and, there are some sites that leave this site in the dust as far as optimizations go.........but, this site does have personality...........kinda prudish, but not bad..........

Thanks for your reply, Julio.

If there's one guide in particular that I'd like to see updated it would definately be the GeForce tweak guide, followed by another Detenator Drive Comparison guide.

Re: didn't thomas start out @ tweak3d.net?

Originally posted by JSR
didn't thomas start out @ tweak3d.net?

Not at all, Thomas has always been part of TechSpot, before that he had a personal website for computer tweaks, we adopted him ;).

a personal website for computer tweaks

hmmmmm........thx julio.....just thought i had seen his moniker elsewhere

Back