Suggestion needed for a quite CASE

By DonNagual
May 13, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Getting ready to put together my next PC. Going for a mid-range gaming computer. I am looking at the A8V-E Deluxe for motherboard, and likely an Athlon64 3800 CPU, Gforce 6800 256Mb etc. My current rig now is WAY too loud. Not only my fan on the CPU but also the PSU. Think jet engine.

Budget is a concern. For the case, I am looking at the Antec Sonata as it seems like a quiet one, but I am concerned. Will that 380W PSU be enough for my needs? Any advice appreciated.
  2. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso Newcomer, in training Posts: 25,948   +17

3. IronDuke

IronDuke Newcomer, in training Posts: 1,267

Zalman do nice unit - TNN 500AF. Not for those with a budget though. :D
  4. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff Newcomer, in training Posts: 8,165

5. vnf4ultra

vnf4ultra TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,195

A 380 should be enough for now. It does have 2 sata connectors. They have updated the psus in their current cases. This is still a 380w, but has two sata, and a more powerful 12v+ line, 24a vs 18a original(iirc). I would rather have one strong 12v rail than two weak 12v rails.

Or you could get a cheap case with no psu or fans, and buy your own silent psu and fans.
    http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/FeedBack/CustRatingReview.asp?Item=N82E16817151018
    The seasonic psu is very quiet and efficient, but I think it has a 20 pin main connector instead of a 24pin that the newer mobos use.(most mobos still work on the 20 pin version(support both 20 and 24pin)).
    This is nice too.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817101516
    It can run single rail or dual rail.
  6. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 5,899

That is an old review. Having purchased a Sonata a month ago, it now comes with SATA & PCI-e connectors. I haven't looked at the ratings on the different voltage rails though.
  7. Justin

Justin Newcomer, in training Posts: 1,595

Didou and VNF are right. Having built around 8 systems using the Sonata in the past few months they have beefier PSUs with SATA power connectors. Your suggestion is good RBS, the Sonata is a very quiet case all around.

For a quiet case it is definately a start. If you eventually want to go all-out crazy, a combination of a sonata with a replacement 200mm fan that is motherboard-controlled and possibly a zalman heatsink or water cooling and good choice of HDD can give you a near-completely silent system.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.