TechSpot

Suggestions for a new java program ??

By fnugen
Sep 18, 2005
  1. I was running Sunjava but have found that the last 3 virus checks I have been infected inside the sun folder in my Docs and Sets folder. I have decided to delete it and try a new java program. Can I get some suggestions as to the better programs with better trojan and hijacker defence?? I also found Sun seemed to kind of hang a little on some pages. TIA

2. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

Erm..

With what were you "infected"? And it is not the JVMs fault you when you go to webpages that contain bad applets - there is no way a Java engine can protect itself if you tell it to run malicious software. Maybe you should pay more attention to what webpages you visit?

3. fnugen

fnugen TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 104

I am careful with the pages I visit......thank you. "Java/ByteVerify" and "Java/ClassLoader" I have been getting links sent via MSN that I had visited a couple as they came from a trusted source, but that turned out to be an unsupported update that randomly sent the links out, quite possible I got them from them. I was not aware that a java program cannot protect itself, I came here for help because I am not versed in many ways of the PC. Java being one big one that is a complete unknown for me. Is the Sun Java a good program then??

4. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 4,274

MS no longer supports Java (*cough*Activex*cough*) on the Windows platform & suggest that you install the Sun Java virtual machine now. I don't think there's much alternative there.

5. fnugen

Thanks. With not knowing about the java, I wasn't sure if I was using inferior product and was wondering if the masses could help out. Off to find Sun Java again. Thanks again.

6. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 4,274

Sun Java comes with a program "jucheck.exe" which can check for updates available & download/install them. It's located in the BIN folder of the Java installation.

7. fnugen

Cool thanks. Updating now.

8. Spike

Spike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,168

Don't know about classloader, but I can tell you that byteverify is harmless unless your using the old and redundant MS virtual machine.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.