suggestions on anti-viruses

Status
Not open for further replies.

darknate

i am getting really frustrated with my computer always getting viruses. i have spybot:search and destroy, which i like until i found out that it can delete stuff that you need. so since i downloaded spybot and started using it, all these problems poped up. as you all can tell, i am just learning the basics of computers. if anyone can give me links to the best anti virus programs that are free, i would apreciate it dearly. and maybe some pop up blockers too.

which i like until i found out that it can delete stuff that you need
any tool with sufficient power to be effective will also give the user
sufficient rope to hang ones self :)

lol, anyways, does anyone have a suggestion on which is the best anti virus stuff? if you make a suggestion, please provide a link to it.

I'll second avg . I've been using it for a while, it seems to be effective, while not hogging the system with unneeded features. I also recommend browsing with firefox to help prevent some spyware and other "baddies" on the net.

I like webroot spysweeper as a good paid antispyware program.
Avast is another free antivirus, it seems to be well liked by some users.

i already browse with firefox, i love it because it's faster than IE. i'll give avast a try too, thanks ultra

Also, if you are using dsl/cable, or anything besides 56k, you should have a firewall of some sort. You may want to google that, and if you don't find anything, windows firewall is always a last resort.

if you're gonna use AVG + a firewall, i'd suggest Sunbelt Kerio personal firewall.. has an ad blocker and also a popup blocker as well.. runs full version for 30 days or if you buy it, but also restricted version after the trail period (which is still pretty good, only web filtering is disabled as far as i can see...)

zone alarm firewall tends to dislike avg's update manager..

I've tried kerio, and it seems like it works well, except is seriously slows down my system. It literally doubled game load times when kerio was installed. So I uninstalled it and now I'm back to my fast load times. I've been using avg+zone alarm free and it seems to work fine.

well like i always say.. every machine is different.. even to the point of one person saying Norton I.Sec. is good and works... now that's scary.. :evil::eek:

find what combo works for you and thats about it i guess...

so far i've downloaded avast and super ad blocker. is it ok if i post what my virus scan finds so i know what not to delete? also, on avast, what does it mean by move to chest?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back