Suggestions Required For Installing Dual OS

Hi There, this is Ashish Dewan. I am from India. I am a new member of this online community. I have been using Windows 8.1 operating system for few months but now I want to install Windows 7 as well because I am facing a problem with Windows 8.1 and the problem is I am unable to run some software in Windows 8.1 because it does not support those software. So now I want to Install Dual Operating System. Please suggest me how it will be possible to use both OS. I want to know merits and demerits as well. Looking forward for advice from your side.

Thanks
Ashish Dewan

You are likely to get a number of suggestions.

Mine is that you take the free upgrade to Windows 10 as a first step. You can do the upgrade to Windows 10 keeping in place all installed programs and drivers. If you decide to install also Windows 7 I'd advise using a virtual operating system. VMWare player is free and would allow you to install XP which would give you scope to run lots more older software than Windows 7 would. I suspect that most everything that runs in Windows 7 will also run in Windows 10.

You run the virtual OS whether XP or W7 (you could have both) within the host OS (Windows 10). If a dual boot set up goes wrong it is a big issue. If a virtual OS goes wrong your main OS, Windows 10 would be unaffected. As backup you could store a copy of the virtual OS in case it corrupted so a problem there would be quickly resolved by replacing the corrupted folder.

Back