TechSpot

Suggestions?

By ColdBlizzardIce
Apr 4, 2008
  1. I hate to be that guy thats always annoying and ask the same question over and over again but I just need an opinion.

For all those gamers out there, which new graphics card would you go with that has the best image and frame rate quality?

I was leaning towards the 8800 GTX and then maybe SLI it up

Or the 3870 X2?

9800 GTX?

I have a limit of $400.00 at the moment soo I was just wondering about the opinions.

Cheers!

2. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 17,244   +234

Either of the cards will work beautifully

3. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 7,241   +9

Since we don't know which brand and model, or motherboard, it is a bit difficult to give an opinion.
    Based on what you have posted, I would just shop by price and warranty. Any you posted will work fine.

4. Barks

Barks TS Rookie

I would have to agree with the other two. Get the best deal you can, they're both great cards.

5. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

go to tomshardware.com and read their video card comparison charts.

6. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 5,431   +28

I'd go with a 9800GTX or a HD 3870X2, purely because of the onboard HD-decoding. SLI/Crossfire would only be worth it if you were going to be running uber-high resolutions (1600x1200 and above) with lots of AA and AF. If you want more power, then instead of paying for an SLI-compliant motherboard, a large PSU and a second video card, get a 9800GX2. For $100 more, it's the best video card out there ATM.

7. kpo6969

kpo6969 TS Maniac Posts: 710

Just get a 9600GSO when they come out and save up.

8. drjulian

drjulian TS Rookie Posts: 44

Thanks, Tedster for GREAT SITE! LegionHardware.com has decent OCing articles,also.....Don

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.