Sun Shows Off 3D Desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julio Franco

Staff member
Sun Microsystems is experimenting with a three-dimensional desktop interface that could alter the way users see their screens--without the dorky glasses. First demonstrated at LinuxWorld in January, the "Project Looking Glass" initiative is a 3D Java-based, open source desktop that runs on Linux.

Prem Domingo, regional technology manager at Sun Microsystems of Canada, says Project Looking Glass will allow users to interact with applications in an area that is more like real space. For example, users can push things off to the side, push them behind, place things further away from themselves, and have multiple layers on their desktops, Domingo says.

Read more: PC World.

What kind of input devices would you need? Would a conventional 2D mouse work?

And I wonder how this could be applied to gaming.

I too am interested to know if a standard mouse will suffice. Maybe just adding one button to change the axis from up down to forward back. Keep left right as they are. (or something like that ?)

Bizarre you ask about games as games have been truly 3D for a long time, hence the sale of 3D glasses!

Do a search on google for "Project looking glass" go to the listing that goes to Sun's site. There's a video showing what it is, its not that impressive to me....

And if I remember correctly MS is working on a 3d desktop interface..that will probably be far more impressive IMO...

The emphasis is on terms "open source" and "java" meaning that system could be used for free on almost any computer.

There have been many proprietary 3D UI systems in work for years.

sharp's 3d lcd display on their laptops looks much more appealing than sun's anyways. we still have a long time to go before we can achieve a truly 3d display.

Yeah a software based 3d thing like this just doesnt impress me..However the sharp lcd(as somekid mentioned) does..those are sweet...

we got 3d desktop but have u think about software to run on this plat form.& harresement to buy them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back