super low fps with 256MB AGP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I just bought myself an ati radeon 9250 AGP card, so that i could play cs:s.
I've installed it and updated the drivers, but for some reason I'm getting 13FPS on cs:s..
at first i thought i might need more ram, so i tryed regular old cs, which now has around 8 - 12FP. I've tryed playing with the settings in the "Catalyst Control Center" but nothing seems to help.

I used to use a 32MB tnt2 ultra and got a nice 70FPS on cs,
now with my 256MB radeon i get 12FPS if i hide in a corner and dont look at anything.

any help at all would be fantastic
thnx!

-c0py

Welcome to techspot :wave:

For your problem,

Check if u have the latest drivers, try DXDIAG to see if there is any problems, it usually says if there is ay problems with the card also check if the problem is with only DIRECTX or Opengl. try running couple of bencmarks and check for any conflicts.

Thanks =]

I tried dxdiag but it says everythings ok,
I tried running hl in direct3d and opengl opengl gets the most fps with 10-15

I don't think I have any benchmark tools, I did try the hl2 video stress test but it was very choppy and hung right at the end.

I've checked and i have the latest drivers =[

would it make a difference if I changed the apg speed from x4 to x2 / x1
or the Aperture size? its currently set at 256MB

thanks for your quick responce!
-c0py

Try disabling Fast write from BIOS also try checking for some conflict (small Yellow Excalmation mark in Device manager).

do u have any PCI card right next to ur Graphic card i mean in the PCi slot nxt to ur graphic card.

Try reducing your AGP aperture size to 128MB or 64MB. Since your video card already has 256MB, there is little need to set aside a lot of system memory. btw, how much system memory do you have?

-=[[ Try disabling Fast write from BIOS also try checking for some conflict (small Yellow Excalmation mark in Device manager).

do u have any PCI card right next to ur Graphic card i mean in the PCi slot nxt to ur graphic card. ]]=-
----------------------------

I disabled fast write and tryed the cs:s video stress test, its upto 32.5 FPS now
and cs is upto 30-40FPS

I also reduced my Aperture size to 125. and although the fps hasn't improved the graphics look alot smoother

all pci slots are empty, I checked device manager, everythings ok there apart from this one thing i noticed, in
Device manager > Display adapters > Radeon 9250 > Properties

it has,
Device Type : Display Adapters
manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.

I'm not sure if its suposed to say PCI bus, or AGP? I'm not sure how to change it.

I have 256MB of system ram, would more system ram improve my graphics?

thank you both for helping me out =]
-c0py

More system RAM would help performance. A total of 512MB should be the minimum.

You should post your system spec's to allow everyone to help you better.

I didn't know about the Ram, I just placed an order for 1024MB

my specs,

AMD 1.2 Ghz,
256MB Ram
ati Radeon 9250
120GB HDD
on board sound
XP pro

You might start thinking about a processor upgrade. That 1.2GHz processor is gonna hold you back.

Good to hear that kinda solved ur problem, between what MB do u have, my old A7n4x-vm from used to report the same thing but didnt give me any performance problem. anyway try updating ur MB drivers.

Good Huting

I have a k7vta3 v5.0 board, and a ga-8simlnf, i think the ga has a pentium 4 cpu but i can't seem to get the fan/heatsinc off it to check.

If I wanted to swap boards, would i have to format my hdd, or would it accept the new board and just ask for drivers?

I looked for my mb drivers mostly finding dead links from way back when cave people used the net. still looking though,

thanks again for all your help.

You have to re-install windows if u r running windows 2000 it will boot up but will create problems in the long run so the best option is to re-install and format is not really necessary, i for one dont always forrmat when i re-install. but to be on the safe side backup ur data.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back