super slow sluggish windows xp

Status
Not open for further replies.
After a brand new install of windows xp, it runs great until about a week after.
the response time is terrible! you click the start menu, and it takes about 3 seconds for that to popup (on a good day!). opening a program like internet explorer will take about 30 seconds to a minute. and once i start multitasking, the computer basically doesn't respond at all. but if u let it go, it doesn't freeze, just processes everything reeeeeeeeeeeeally sloooooooow...............

is this a processor problem (celeron 1000 MHz) or maybe a hard disk problem? what do you think?

i downloaded some utility software, (adobe reader, flash get, some windows updates)
the hard disk is partitioned into 3 seperate drives (10GB, 15GB, 15GB approx.).

it could be a lot of things.... you could try defragmenting the hard drive,running scandisk, running your anti-apyware/anti-virus/anti-adware programs. deleting unnecessary files on your hard drive. how much RAM do you have? maybe you could increase your pagefile size.

slow response

I've recently had a problem solved that gave me slow computer response, especially in the right mouse clicking and drag-and-drop responses. The right mouse clicks would take up to 30 seconds or more to get the pop up window to respond also I right click to open the start button which gives me access to "explore" this would take forever to respond. Well today I noticed a program was not responding well too, and that was "eraser53" . So I uninstalled it and realized that all of these problems dissappeared. Now the responses are instant, the change was DRAMATIC to say the least. I installed the program again and all the problems came back so I will never install this program again until I need it. Hope this helps. I also noticed on another computer that having many things in the "print cache" can cause slow computer response, so clear everything from the print cache, so nothing is cued to print to your printer. I can't tell you how much computer resorces are taken up by the print cache. Good luck. My computer is a Toshiba M35x-s311 laptop running winXP home(sp2), 700mgs ram.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back