Superhot Review: Innovating in the FPS genre

Julio Franco

Staff member

Some games only need a single good idea to work. For example: Superhot, a punishing first-person shooter in which time only moves when you move. It’s a single, good idea. And it works.

An army of faceless enemies waits in ambush, or maybe they jog into the room in waves, or maybe they creep up behind you. Most of them are armed with some sort of gun or other weapon, and a single hit from any of them will kill you. Your substantial advantage is that if you stop moving, time slows to a crawl. Bullets edge toward you inch by inch; katana-wielding foes move like snails. You have time to plan, prioritize, and then act.

Read the complete review.

Innovation? it sounds like a single interesting mechanic with the entire game around it half donkeyed.

I think that the author was more or less praising this game because frankly there has been zilch new in the FPS genre for over 8 years. Ever since Call of Duty became the game to emulate it's been nothing but the same. I'll take at least a small breath of fresh air if it means I don't have to play yet another COD clone.

Um, I really don't get it!

OK, so the authors of great games like Tomb Raider and the soon to be released Division should just give up all the hard work on amazing graphics and realism for this? Yeah, ok! NOT!

Looks interesting to me. Of course, all the "realism" *****s will jump on it and say it's horrible without ever playing it. People are too brainwashed by COD and BF, a zillion weapons, alt fire modes and a bunch of other needless crap that forces you to spend more time messing with junk than playing.

Looks interesting to me. Of course, all the "realism" *****s will jump on it and say it's horrible without ever playing it. People are too brainwashed by COD and BF, a zillion weapons, alt fire modes and a bunch of other needless crap that forces you to spend more time messing with junk than playing.
I like messing with junk, its the basis of most of my favorite games and pastimes.

Thought the game was awesome, play the beta... or alpha.. whichever it was xD liked the mechanics, but just finished it and it was a sweet subtle little ending that left me satisfied... make sure to look for secrets :p take your time, im gona be replaying soon

heres the first 10 minutes incase you are unsure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkWQvWH7hXM

Back