Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

NameBrandHuman

Hi im making this thread because of a debate i was having in another thread. I would like to know specifically in your opinions what the best solution is and why you believe so. This is for awareness only. I am humbly looking for better solutions to try and possibly switch my current one. Plz no fighting over whats the best just state your opinions and if you do have a negative opinion on something please state so professionally!

I just started using AVG the other day, and I'm pretty happy with it. It seems to be one of the more popular ones. I've also used Norton, which also worked moderately well, but sometimes had things get around it...

I definitely still consider myself a comp novice... so I'm going to watch this thread to see what other programs people suggest. Thanks for making this thread; looks to be useful.

Avast! is my personal favorite, AVG Anti-Spyware / Avast! Anti-Virus is the best combo.

I think Avast! is good because it will disconnect you from the internet automatically if a virus trys to hijack you, then it'll auto delete it. Also, it has a silent scan running in backgrounds all the time without taking up alot of CPU usage!

AVG is my favorite. Anytime a virus tries to get in, its right there. It has not failed me yet. In fact, a few have. I still have yet to get AVAST to try it, though.

Bitdefender gets my vote, for various reasons after bouncing around between different programs. AVG is good, that would be my second choice, especially because its free.

I'm (currently) Running AVG.

If I were to create one for myself, here's my shopping list:
Criteria:
Code:
	light weight: small code, runs quickly, manual/scheduled scans
	easy to configure 
		(ie why scan *.txt, *.bmp files)
		(select HD, Folder/, or specific files to scan)
	easy to update
	easy and completely uninstall 
	   	(albeit this should not be needed frequently)

same AV should be able to scan email (ie via local proxy)
		as attachments are exposed just like HD/files
	*might* scan when file(s) are opened (ie: lazy evaluation)

minimal or ZERO false positives (ie boy crying wolf)
	ZERO negatives  (boy asleep at the helm)

Ability to quaranteen infections 
		(but not at the risk of rendering the system unrunnable)
	Ability to alert on infections
	Ability to cure/remove an infection or 
	 	at least notify of where to find the 'anti-venom'

There are several programs that come close to your wishlist jobeard, but most fall short in the "light weight: small code, runs quickly" department. Just a quick question, who here is running Vista and an anti-virus/firewall?

NOD32 v2.7 which has a very light resource demand. I have had it for over a year and a half and no complaints. The only joebeard criteria it fails at is set-up/configuration which takes dedicated time to implement but once it is set, it is set. Version 3.0 has been released but they are still working out the kinks, though many are using it without any issues whatsoever.

I also would pick Kaspersky, AVAST!, and AVG. Anti-vir should be in the mix as well.

Seriously, the layered protection is my choice as opposed to the suit. For me its NOD32, Sunbelt Firewall (but I will soon switch to Online Armor; even their free version has HIPS which Sunbelt's doesn't), Superantispyware, and a router.

* hynesy, I installed on my daughter's laptop (Vista Home Premium) Avast! free home edition and I have been very pleased with the protection and the options it packs. She sits behind a router and uses the Vista Firewall which isn't my first choice but until Online Armor releases a full working Vista software, the Vista one will have to do and it certainly is better than the XP one.

Still, no infections and she does access the internet quite a bit for college research, email, and general web surfing.

Yeah, I use Bitdefender Total Security 2008 because I won a free 1 year subscription for participating in the BETA trial. Never had a virus or spyware etc. Although, I cannot tell whether its Bitdefender or Vista or both thats keeping my system clean.

NameBrandHuman said:
Thanx for the replies! I myself am using NOD32 3.0 and it is doing wonderful no problems whatsoever!

That is really great news to hear. Perhaps they are finally working out the kinks. Is it still as light on resources as version 2.7?

Yes! I believe it is. I havent noticed any difference in switching besides the interface is a lil more user friendly. Although settings seem to be a bit more dificult. But not to the point of not knowing how to navigate them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back