TechSpot

Surface RT shipping with free keyboard cover ($129 value) for limited time

By Rick
May 31, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Starting today, U.S. and Canadian customers who purchase a Surface RT from either Microsoft or an authorized reseller will receive a free keyboard cover (a $120 value). The deal is for a "limited time only", although details regarding its official...

Read more
  2. treeski

treeski TS Guru Posts: 875   +130

The touch covers should have been free or significantly cheaper to begin with.
    St1ckM4n likes this.
  3. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 4,656   +82

Bring this tablet down to $199 include the free keyboard no matter what. $499.99 just too much for this RT.
    Skidmarksdeluxe likes this.
  4. Railman

Railman TS Enthusiast Posts: 610   +81

The touch keyboard just looked cheap and tacky when I saw one in a shop. I would not buy a Surface RT especially as it has such a small screen. You can buy a laptop PC with far better spec for the same money and it would be compatible with legacy programs
  5. treeski

treeski TS Guru Posts: 875   +130

And that laptop will be a lot heavier with shorter battery life and no standby notifications. There are always trade-offs.
    spectrenad and ReederOnTheRun like this.
  6. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 3,030   +738

You took the words right outta my mouth. (No. I'm not Jim Steinman)
  7. Railman

Railman TS Enthusiast Posts: 610   +81

So what if the Surface RT is lighter and has longer battery use. It only runs a lite version of MS Office and you can only run Apps from the MS store. Fine to watch films whilst on the train. More of less useless for serious use. It is just an expensive toy. Why not buy an Android or Apple tablet which are cheaper?
  8. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 6,942   +899

Yeah. It would be worth $500 if they put full Windows on it, or made RT more functional.
  9. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,671   +879

Couldn't you actually buy a whole "Kindle" for something like $120.00.....?:confused:

I full well realize that this is an apples to oranges comparison, but it does highlight what an arbitrary and vastly inflated value the ********* at M$ have attached to a simple piece of molded plastic.

I was right, you can: http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Paperw...ie=UTF8&qid=1370139180&sr=1-3&keywords=kindle

And TBH, you probably don't need to jump all over a desktop to enjoy it.....:eek:
  10. killeriii

killeriii TS Enthusiast Posts: 213   +14

"Starting today, U.S. and Canadian customers who purchase a Surface RT from either Microsoft or an authorized reseller will receive a free keyboard cover (a $120 value)."

should have been a free rt with the purchase of a keyboard...I might have considered it.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.