Surface RT shipping with free keyboard cover ($129 value) for limited time

Rick

Staff

Starting today, U.S. and Canadian customers who purchase a Surface RT from either Microsoft or an authorized reseller will receive a free keyboard cover (a $120 value). The deal is for a "limited time only", although details regarding its official end haven't been announced.

Although this specific deal including Microsoft's Touch Cover, Touch Cover (Limited Edition) and Type Cover is limited to North America, certain countries in the EU have been enjoying a similar promo -- just with a less diverse selection of covers. Redmond says the promo will end on June 30 for the following European countries: Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Russia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and the United Kingdom. It seems reasonable to assume the U.S. offer may also end at this time, if it does at all.

Surface's much-touted and well-liked keyboard covers have been a frequent source of criticism; although the accessories were lauded as innovative and a defining feature for Surface, their three-digit price tag elicited scowls from people already unhappy with Surface RT's $499 price tag. At $119, the keyboard cover alone is one-quarter the cost of the tablet itself.

Microsoft claims its Surface Type Cover is the thinnest mechanical keyboard available and retails for a hefty $129.99 -- or free, for now, with the purchase of an RT. The Type Cover packs a laptop-like QWERTY keyboard and capacitive touchpad in a 6mm-thin device which weighs just over half a pound. Meanwhile, the Touch Cover forgoes mechanical switches for a "pressure sensing input technology" which provides a truly thin (3.22mm thick) keyboard, even if it is only $10 cheaper. Limited Edition Touch Covers features a lively, laser-etched design.

Permalink to story.

The touch keyboard just looked cheap and tacky when I saw one in a shop. I would not buy a Surface RT especially as it has such a small screen. You can buy a laptop PC with far better spec for the same money and it would be compatible with legacy programs

The touch keyboard just looked cheap and tacky when I saw one in a shop. I would not buy a Surface RT especially as it has such a small screen. You can buy a laptop PC with far better spec for the same money and it would be compatible with legacy programs

And that laptop will be a lot heavier with shorter battery life and no standby notifications. There are always trade-offs.

So what if the Surface RT is lighter and has longer battery use. It only runs a lite version of MS Office and you can only run Apps from the MS store. Fine to watch films whilst on the train. More of less useless for serious use. It is just an expensive toy. Why not buy an Android or Apple tablet which are cheaper?

Starting today, U.S. and Canadian customers who purchase a Surface RT from either Microsoft or an authorized reseller will receive a free keyboard cover (a $120 value). The deal is for a "limited time only", although details regarding its official...
Couldn't you actually buy a whole "Kindle" for something like $120.00.....?:confused:

I full well realize that this is an apples to oranges comparison, but it does highlight what an arbitrary and vastly inflated value the ********* at M$ have attached to a simple piece of molded plastic.

I was right, you can: http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Paperw...ie=UTF8&qid=1370139180&sr=1-3&keywords=kindle

And TBH, you probably don't need to jump all over a desktop to enjoy it.....:eek:

"Starting today, U.S. and Canadian customers who purchase a Surface RT from either Microsoft or an authorized reseller will receive a free keyboard cover (a $120 value)."

should have been a free rt with the purchase of a keyboard...I might have considered it.

Back