TechSpot

Surge Protection!!!

By DonNagual
Aug 15, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. What are the things to look for when buying a good surge protector? I just bought one, and it appears that it is not good enough for my power consumption. It starts beeping (the UPS that is) as soon as I start playing a game, whining that I am using too much power. Whimpy little thing.

So I am going to buy a new one. What do I look for? How do I know it can handle my needs?

2. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 8,165

3. tdeg

tdeg TS Rookie Posts: 348

Sounds like your are hunting for a UPS, not a surge protector.

Go to here http://www.advizia.com/tripplite/Configure.asp?User=TrippLiteUPS and enter in all your equipment. Fill it all out. It will give you a list of TrippLite equipment. That's not really the important part. Look at what VA (ie... 550VA) or such that it suggests. Then go shopping for a UPS with at least that much VA.

4. nein

nein Banned Posts: 226

Avoid using your computer until you get a new UPS, it can kill your computer when under-powered for your requirements for example.

Buying a new UPS - Totaling your power usage in WATTs, add 30% (due to majority of consumer level UPSs didn't use sinusoidal outputs) to convert to VA, add another 25% (+3dB fudge factor) to the determined VA value for final nominal required UPS VA rating.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.