Surgeon livestreams operation to medical students via Google Glass

Shawn Knight

Staff member

surgeon google glass

A surgeon at Ohio State University’s Wexner Medical Center recently performed a routine surgery while wearing Google Glass. The technology allowed Dr. Christopher Kaeding to live stream the procedure to a group of students on the other side of town and collaborate with a colleague during the process.

The surgeon performed an ACL repair on a woman that injured her knee while playing softball. One might think that wearing a connected piece of technology like Glass would hinder the task at hand or at the very least, add a bit of pressure. But once Kaeding got started, he said he often forgot the device was even there.

It marks the first time that such collaboration has occurred during an operation using Glass, the university said.

Ohio State University is now looking into other ways that Glass could be used to enhance the learning experience of students.  Dr. Clay Marsh, the medical center's chief innovation officer, said they were very excited about the opportunities the device could provide for education. Kaeding added that it was a privilege to be part of the project as we explore how the technology might be incorporated into the everyday care of patients.

True enough, being able to overlook the work of a surgeon in a real-world environment could go a long way in educating the doctors of tomorrow. Glass could also be used by doctors to call up X-ray or MRI images using voice commands, meaning their hands could stay busy at work.

Permalink to story.

That is a very cool way of using this tech. not only do the studends get to see but they really see what the doc is focusing on. Being in the same romm to watch would not necesarely mean your looking at the right spot! . I wondew if he could use the camera to zoom an area and display it in one eye?

And then your man goes like "Oh yeah, that was a tough one, gotta go take a dump now....", all the while still wearing the goggles without realizing it... That'll make a popular video, alright...

This is the best use of these yet considering they have been able to record a operation before.

It doesn't record 24/7, you must tell it when to start and stop. And, don't tell me anyone is stupid enough to not notice in front of his eyes that the glass says recording, and a red light is on.

Yeah, cool 'n all, but considering the technology in an operating room like cameras for scopes and lasers for internal cutting, you'd think they could figure out how to strap a camera to a doctor's head before Glass came along. The point of Glass is the Heads Up Display, not so much the camera. If Glass could display patient vitals to the Dr. while operating that'd be more newsworthy.

Maybe I'm being a cynic, but I expect Google searched for a surgeon in a teaching hospital who'd be willing to do this and gave him a free Glass to help promote it. Of course the response to that is 'so what', the kids learn, the Dr. looks cool, and Google's product is demonstrated in a useful way.

I'm also not a medical student or a Dr. so I don't get the point of doing it live. It's not like the Dr. is answering questions during the surgery from the class... the class may as well watch it recorded afterward with the Dr. available for narration/explanation. I'd bet this surgery was recorded and will be shown to another class who won't miss out on anything just because it wasn't live. Maybe someone with some experience can explain the benefit of it being a live showing.

Someone finally found a USEFUL use for this stupid idea. POV on things like this is a great
way to use this technology, not the crap that everyone does with it now.

OK...now that makes sense! I could see this in other practical applications too like engineering, chemistry, etc.

Too bad this won't become the norm because of:
-Patient Confidentiality
-Potential to record the doctor doing something wrong leading to lawsuit
-Recording the doctor doing something right, but another doctor hired by another lawyer testifies that he would have done it differently and stupid american juries will believe doctor hired by lawyer, resulting in lawsuits
-Expense to hospitals

All of the above are why operating rooms don't have cameras to begin with.

However, I think eventually all doctors will wear these for the HUD. Google-glass with the camera taped over.

Back