Surprise...BSOD desperate

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocsci

New to Tech spot here, heard this might a good place to find answers. Sort of computer savy but not engineer smart if you know what I mean.

I have read numerous BSOD threads and most of the solutions that applied to me I have done...for instance: I have replaced hard drive, had mother board and memory (RAM) replaced. Here is what I am dealing with:

Brand new Emachine T3304, right out the gate kept getting BSOD. Did memtest, no errors. Did what I mentioned above, kept getting BSOD. But the strangest one was when I rebooted in Safe Mode, I got BSOD even then! Does not stop there. I did a full system recovery, reinstalled Windows XP, did not even install drivers or any devices and first time it boots up, got BSOD.

The only thing that I can point out is that there is a loud ticking/clicking sound coming from hard drive which I was told is a sign of a bad HD.

Also, some BSOD comes with no errors, some come with the thread "page fault in nonpaged area", but not always.

Somebody please help...any suggestions are most welcome!

Specs: EMachine T3304

2.01 ghz AMD Sempron

256 mb RAM

120 Ghz Hard Drivw

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 6100

Realtek sound Card

Mother Board: dunno

Attached are minidump files, hope I uploaded them right and hope they help.

Attachments

• Mini032006-05.zip
    17.8 KB · Views: 8
Hello and welcome to Techspot.

5 minidumps crash at SYMEVENT.SYS. This is part of your Symantec/Norton security product.

This is a known issue on some systems/configurations.

1 minidump crashes at win32k.sys. Windows Multi-User Win32 Driver.

The best advice I can give you, is to get rid of that Symantec/Norton crapware.

Get AVG free and Zonealarm Instead. You can get them HERE# and HERE

Your system will run a lot faster without Symantec/Norton`s resource hogging crap.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

I can see nothing in your minidumps, that would suggest a hard drive problem.

The culprit as far as I can tell, is your Symantec/Norton security product.

If we can rule this out and your problems continue, then we can start to look at other possibilities.

Regards Howard :)

Alright, did a system restore again this time without the symantec product. Still getting crashes with the "IRQ Not Less Or Equal" message. Tried installing Zone Alarm Pro and crashed every time so resorted to the free product. Couldn't get AVG to install correctly; kept getting an installation failed message. Really stumped here...
attached are more minidumps. First ones might be attibuted to me trying to get Zone Alarm pro to work. The last few are a mystery.

thanks

3 minidumps crash with hardware and have a bugcheck of 7F.

1 minidump crashes at ntkrnlpa.exe. Windows nt & system kernel file. It has a bugcheck of 0A.

1 minidump crashes at sr.sys. System Restore Filesystem Filter Driver. It has a bugcheck of 0A.

0x0000007F: UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP

One of three types of problems occurred in kernel-mode: (1) Hardware failures. (2) Software problems. (3) A bound trap (i.e., a condition that the kernel is not allowed to have or intercept). Hardware failures are the most common cause (many dozen KB articles exist for this error referencing specific hardware failures) and, of these, memory hardware failures are the most common.

0x0000000A: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Typically due to a bad driver, or faulty or incompatible hardware or software. Technically, this error condition means that a kernel-mode process or driver tried to access a memory location to which it did not have permission, or at a kernel Interrupt ReQuest Level (IRQL) that was too high. (A kernel-mode process can access only other processes that have an IRQL lower than, or equal to, its own.)

In the light of these errors and the fact that your hard drive is making strange noises. It could be a hard drive problem.

However, if I didn`t know about your hard drive, I`d be tempted to say it`s probably a ram problem.

Go HERE and follow the instructions.

0x0000000A: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Typically due to a bad driver, or faulty or incompatible hardware or software. Technically, this error condition means that a kernel-mode process or driver tried to access a memory location to which it did not have permission, or at a kernel Interrupt ReQuest Level (IRQL) that was too high. (A kernel-mode process can access only other processes that have an IRQL lower than, or equal to, its own.)

Thanks for info, really appreciate the help.

I kind of understand but you did loose me at kernal IRQL and "kernel-mode process". May have to translate.

The last minidumps posted were after the hard drive replacement, so bad memory or bad driver?
On one of the last crash (about eh 10th in three days) I noticed a message stating to use "driver verifier" or "special pool" to find suspect problem drivers. If this is available somewhere, where and how can I access this utility to perform this task?

Attached are more minidumps with new messages i.e "Bad Pool Header"

Indeed I ask, why oh why didn't I buy a Dell?!

I can`t see your latest minidumps. You obviously forgot to attach them lol.

The last minidumps posted were after the hard drive replacement, so bad memory or bad driver?

I`d say it`s more likely to be bad ram.

For an explanation of kernel mode etc see HERE. It`s all just as confusing to me lol.

Wow, heavy...

Attempting to attach minidumps again...hopefully I do it right this time. May end up sending this thing back to emachines factory so that they can do more repairs on this beast. It's a shame the lemon law doesn't apply here.

2 of your minidumps crash at Klpf.sys. This is a trojan. Name Troj/Haxdoor-L
Type

* Trojan

Affected operating systems

* Windows

Side effects

* Turns off anti-virus applications
* Allows others to access the computer
* Installs itself in the Registry

Before we can go any further, we need to get your system cleaned up.

Please open a new thread in the security and the web forum, after following these instructions.

Go and have your computer scanned HERE.

Then, go and read both these threads by RBS. Follow all the instructions exactly.

How to remove Trojans and its ilk! and How to remove Begin2search / coolwebsearch and other nasties.

Then see. How to post your Hijackthis log-file as an ATTACHMENT.

Post a HJT log in your new thread, only after doing the above.

hopeful

in the end I had to send machine back to factory...again. It seems now the BSOD problem has worked itself out. According to the techs the fault (IRQ Not Less Than or Equal) was caused by bad memory again, so that was replaced. Just to be on the safe side, I took the advice of a friend and switched the stick to the other slot after getting it back, and since doing all that, not a single incident. So, two hard drives, a motherboard, and two memory sticks later, programs seem to be working fine and I can browse the internet without being plagued by the BSOD.

at present, remaing hopeful.

howard_hopkinso said:
Thanks for your feedback.

Did you ever get rid of the virus problem?

At the the time I did try multiple scans using various virus and trojan scanners but could not locate the infester. So I used a program called Drive Washer and completely erased all data on hard drive. A little drastic I know, but was really trying to fix this problem so I did not have anything important on hard drive. After reinstalling windows, the BSOD problem persisted and that was when I sent machine back to factory. Thanks for asking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back