Surprise! Star Wars Battlefront has an expensive season pass

Scorpus

Staff member

In what should be a huge surprise for people who've been following EA Games' first-person shooter franchises for a while now, Star Wars Battlefront will have a $50 season pass that includes all of the game's upcoming downloadable content packs.

To get the complete Battlefront experience you'll need to fork out a huge $110, as the base game will retail for $60. Purchasing the season pass will probably save you a small amount of money compared to buying each expansion separately (EA typically sells DLC packs for $15 each), but it's certainly a lot of money to pay for a single game.

What will the season pass bring? Four DLC expansions, which will be released in intervals following the launch of Battlefront later this year. EA hasn't announced specific launch dates for the DLC packs, though the season pass will give you two-week early access to each expansion, as well as an exclusive "Shoot First" emote.

The season pass will be included in the $120 Star Wars Battlefront Ultimate Edition, which is slightly more expensive than buying the base game and the season pass separately. That's because the Ultimate Edition includes all the bonuses (five in-game items) of the $70 Deluxe Edition.

Star Wars Battlefront will launch on Windows, Xbox One, and PlayStation 4 on November 17th, while the public beta, currently underway, will end on October 13th. It's set to be one of the biggest game launches of this holiday period.

Permalink to story.

Bollix, just seems like way too much to pay *upfront* for content I wouldn't be getting for god knows how long. Pay an extra 50 (price of a new game, almost) but see no return on that money for months... By the time that content comes out a lot of people will be moved on from this. They will come back (most likely) depending on the content, but seriously.

Bollix, just seems like way too much to pay *upfront* for content I wouldn't be getting for god knows how long. Pay an extra 50 (price of a new game, almost) but see no return on that money for months... By the time that content comes out a lot of people will be moved on from this. They will come back (most likely) depending on the content, but seriously.

Dude, a lot of people have moved on from the BETA already. I don't see it has that much potential; I play when any of my friends want to play it, in the meanwhile I play other games. At least in PC they have tweaks to do -specially with vehicles- and critical bug fixes -I found one yesterday where my credits would be spent and get a pack of cards, apparently being redeemed and then during the match realize I'm empty, this happened with 6 shield packs, I have 60 charges that I can't use during battle.

$120 to debug a game for the first 6-9 months that'll be old news in 12-15 months, no thank you. And you know that Ultimate edition sure is ultimate with those 5 items, look at it like this that's a whopping $2 per item, you sure do get bragging rights with those. And nice going EA bringing up the season pass price from $40 to $50 and expecting no one to take notice. EA is single handily killing the video game industry with these antics, milk the gamers dry and then watch the industry collapse.

I will do as I did with the battlefield games wait a year until its all discounted.

I refuse to pay $120 for any video game.

And trust me I've enjoyed the beta of this game and will get the vanilla most likely

I will do as I did with the battlefield games wait a year until its all discounted.

I refuse to pay $120 for any video game.

And trust me I've enjoyed the beta of this game and will get the vanilla most likely
Same. I havent bought a video game day 1 since battlefield 3. I learned the lesson the hard way. Now, I rarely buy a game before it's 6 months old, and typically wait for it to be a year old, and buy the collectors edition (or all the dlc will be maybe $10 total) for maybe ~$40 or so. Saves a lot of headaches.

And this is why I stick with Blizzard mostly. They patch in what others call DLC. New content released every 2-3 months for Diablo 3 - all free. Sure, expansions come every 2-3 years, but they typically are only $40 and are basically a whole new games worth of content.

And this "beta" that EA hosted - yea, bullshit. It's so they could decide what to put into the DLCs, not to actually fix the game - way too much broken right now.

Blizzard does 2-4 month alphas followed by 4-6 month betas plus 1-2 month PTR before any major content patches. I trust Blizzard games to be near-perfect on launch because of this.

This is not surprising at all (was that sarcasm?) EA did the same thing with BF3 four years ago, and I fell for it. Once I realized that I had spent $110 on a game that everyone abandoned when BF4 was released, I decided I was done paying that much for any game. I don't think I have spent more than $20 for a game since 2012. If a game costs more than $30, I won't even consider it until the price drops, no matter how bad I want it. I don't care for multiplayer, so I don't have to worry about playing catch-up by picking up a game months later, and hopefully all major bugs have been patched by then.

Well done, EA; your greed taught me to never buy any AAA game at release from any publisher, and has saved me hundreds of dollars in the mean time.

You have to be very dumb or very impatient to get any game for over $20/20EUR nowadays on PC. Heck, I rarely even spend >8EUR.

Last edited:
I paid $5 for bf3 and $5 for bf4. Haven't played bf3 for a yr, but I loved it, and never had a problem with empty servers. I never really cared for bf4. I played thus battlefront beta twice. It seemed like a somewhat dumbed down bf. Enjoyed the game though, but I'll wait for some price cuts. Looking down my gun sight as Vader came into view and deflecting my rifle shots before dispatching me was damn awesome though.

Interesting disneyland in california no longer has a season pass due to too many people there. Own one and you acquire more clout than a politician via disney magic. Who wants that? I want money.

Id pay it for split screen multiplayer and campaign. Even at decreased graphics to maintain fps. Then again Id likely buy any xbox 1 game with these options, I tried to switch to console gaming so I could play it with my friends but so far it seems almost as anti social as pc gaming.

Blizzard does 2-4 month alphas followed by 4-6 month betas plus 1-2 month PTR before any major content patches. I trust Blizzard games to be near-perfect on launch because of this.

Blizzard's betas mostly gameplay based. They test the different gameplay mechanics and fix the broken ones. Star Wars Battlefront beta was pure technical. It was all about the infrastructure behind the game always online DRM/feature. On the last day they even increase the load on the servers to test out really extreme conditions.

I paid $5 for bf3 and $5 for bf4. Haven't played bf3 for a yr, but I loved it, and never had a problem with empty servers. I never really cared for bf4. I played thus battlefront beta twice. It seemed like a somewhat dumbed down bf. Enjoyed the game though, but I'll wait for some price cuts. Looking down my gun sight as Vader came into view and deflecting my rifle shots before dispatching me was damn awesome though.

Agreed. I was blasting away at skywalker and he cut me in half haha. Great Beta experience imo.

Wowwwwww. Im in australia. (All in AUD)
But 99$ for game plus 70$ for season is alot. like a lot. If u get the 110$ deluxe thats 180$ without the preorder themes promiced. Thats more but now here comes screwed up part. The deluxe is 186$ thats 6$ extra then what the game is seperatly. Thats 100$ less then what I payed for my ps4.

Im not getting the deluxe and sticking with the standard edition on ps4. And get the season pass cheaper later on. Hopefully 40$ which is 30$ less then the store.

Dude, a lot of people have moved on from the BETA already. I don't see it has that much potential; I play when any of my friends want to play it, in the meanwhile I play other games. At least in PC they have tweaks to do -specially with vehicles- and critical bug fixes -I found one yesterday where my credits would be spent and get a pack of cards, apparently being redeemed and then during the match realize I'm empty, this happened with 6 shield packs, I have 60 charges that I can't use during battle.

I feel ya. I don't know what *would* have worked, but it seems there just had to be a better way...

Id pay it for split screen multiplayer and campaign. Even at decreased graphics to maintain fps. Then again Id likely buy any xbox 1 game with these options, I tried to switch to console gaming so I could play it with my friends but so far it seems almost as anti social as pc gaming.
This current gen is terrible. True multi-person-same-room gaming hasnt been REALLY good since the ps2 era. the 360 had some good ones (many friends only got to play halo because I owned it, and could play multiplayer with me on one console).

I'm close to selling the PS4 and going back to PC only. I'm giving it one more year, but, if after almost 4 years it still can't deliver, I'll write off this entire generation as a flop. I've still got a PS2 with tons of good games, same for my PS3, N64, Gamecube, ece.

I played it for 20 minutes.

The only thing it had going for it was that it was Star Wars, and the era everyone loved.

It was one of the dumbed down FPS I've ever played; an insult to the original two Battlefronts.

This current gen is terrible. True multi-person-same-room gaming hasnt been REALLY good since the ps2 era. the 360 had some good ones (many friends only got to play halo because I owned it, and could play multiplayer with me on one console).

I'm close to selling the PS4 and going back to PC only. I'm giving it one more year, but, if after almost 4 years it still can't deliver, I'll write off this entire generation as a flop. I've still got a PS2 with tons of good games, same for my PS3, N64, Gamecube, ece.

You must have a very nostalgic front room/ TV cabinet!

Unfortunately you'll still get the legions of mindless drones lining up with their cash to pre-order the game. What message does that send EA? They certainly aren't paying attention to many opinions like ours across many forums.

Premium edition 2 years later for a bargain with the patches included. If its a worthy Battlefront it should be relevant for more than 2 years.

Why someone would pre order a Battlefield is beyond me. They're among the most broken games at release.

Back