SuSE Linux 8.2 with Windows 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

desdgl

I just got suse linux 8.2 personal and need halp installing it. I am running win2k pro and want to keep it and dual boot with linux. I have one 20gb. NTFS partition and suse linux setup always tells me to format my hard drive. i tried to convert it to FAT32 with partition magic 8 but it kept saying some error. is there any way to keep win2k on ntfs and install linux to dual boot?

If you've partitioned your hard disk so that Win2k uses all of it, and if you can't resize the partition with Partition Magic or other similar tool, then no, at least I'm not aware of other possibilities.

If you have Drive Image, create an image of the NTFS partition onto another hard drive. Then restore the image back onto the original drive, this time specifying a different partition size. Drive image should let you do this, provided the new size is equal or, or greater than the used space on the NTFS partition.

That's all I can think of.

You need to make room for the Linux partitions on your hard drive. No need to convert the NTFS, Partition Magic 8 can resize it. Just make the NTFS partition 15GB or less and put SuSE on the free space.

SuSE 8.2 comes with NTFS support compiled in the default kernel, so you will have read only access to the Windows partition out of the box.

I think that the problem, Nodsu, was that even although Partition Magic supports NTFS resizing, desdgl was getting an error message every time he tried.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back