Suspects caught recording Fate of the Furious in cinema heading for trial, face jail time...

midian182

Staff member

Cinema goers have been surreptitiously recording newly released movies for years, with the grainy, dark footage usually appearing on torrent sites. The practice is illegal and, as two Maryland men recently found out, can lead to arrest with the possibility of large fines and even imprisonment.

Troy Montgomery Cornish, 38, and Floyd Lee Buchanan, 35, are heading to court on June 15 after being arrested on suspicion of recording Fate of the Furious at a Hoyts Movie Theatre. They face the prospect of one year in prison and a $2500 fine.

Many states, including Maryland, have laws that make it illegal to use recording equipment in theaters, but this didn’t stop the pair from attaching smartphones to their chests to record the latest title in the long-running action franchise.

A Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA) investigator had alerted the authorities to the pair’s activities after following them from the parking lot into a Linthicum movie theater.

The Anne Arundel County Police report, via Ars Technica, reveals the MPAA investigator “stated that he had been watching two known piracy suspects and observed them enter the movie theater. He also observed them watching and illegally recording an early release feature of Fate of the Furious."

A court clerk said the two men were released without having to post bail following their arrest last Friday. The suspects have not commented on their arrests.

According to TorrentFreak, Fate of the Furious is the seventh most downloaded movie on BitTorrent this week, with Logan still in the number one spot.

Permalink to story.

Cant believe people still do cam rips, thats pretty stupid.

Not to mention the movie of choice, might as well be called the fast and ridiculously stupid.

They keep catching people for recording movies, but no one ever stated the reasoning behind the recording (case by case). Is it to make money through online traffic? just to release it on the net for the rest to watch? are they making a stand against big corp? are they simply jerks?
for some reason, I wanna know why they do it.

The quality of such recorded movies is BEYOND horrible. For me personally, I refuse to watch such garbage. Part of the movie experience is the quality of the video and sound. When that sucks, it's pointless to watch IMO.

Anyone who watches these atrociously bad quality cam copies of movies deserve to join these guys in jail.
Plus how can anyone enjoy watching a movie where other people are heard and even seen walking in front of the screen?
It's actually not that black and white. Think about it... Have you ever rented a VHS or DVD (or even bought a CD) and gave it to a friend or took it to a friends house to watch it with them? If you answered yes to any of these, Hollywood has lost money thus you deserve jail time... as do all of us. These laws are written by monkeys with fat wallets.

I can imagine Vin Diesel and Michelle Rodriguez is having a sensual scene then suddenly a shadow of a man standing up going to the washroom blocked the view and that ruined the 5 seconds of your life. :p

Anyone who watches these atrociously bad quality cam copies of movies deserve to join these guys in jail.
Plus how can anyone enjoy watching a movie where other people are heard and even seen walking in front of the screen?

Some people have low standards boss I stopped asking questions these days.

I can imagine Vin Diesel and Michelle Rodriguez is having a sensual scene then suddenly a shadow of a man standing up going to the washroom blocked the view and that ruined the 5 seconds of your life. :p

metheenks the ***** in front of them responding to the fifth twitter on their phablet so far
-blinding their camera each time-
beats that.

LMAO regarding 'you went wrong in your life when..'

It's actually not that black and white. Think about it... Have you ever rented a VHS or DVD (or even bought a CD) and gave it to a friend or took it to a friends house to watch it with them? If you answered yes to any of these, Hollywood has lost money thus you deserve jail time... as do all of us. These laws are written by monkeys with fat wallets.

Have you quoted the right person?
I'm talking about video quality not watching a rental with multiple people.
Cam bootlegs are horrendous quality. It's akin to watching a movie via an off angle mirror via facetime.

They keep catching people for recording movies, but no one ever stated the reasoning behind the recording (case by case). Is it to make money through online traffic? just to release it on the net for the rest to watch? are they making a stand against big corp? are they simply jerks?
for some reason, I wanna know why they do it.
Cant tell if your being sarcastic, but you can still buy burned copies of movies, guys walk around going store to store and standing outside of the 7/11 and wawa bugging people to buy bootleg movies. Mostly see it when Im in Philly not too much outside of the city.

At least a CAM is usually a decent camera on a tripod with an external mic if done by someone who knows what they are doing, but smartphones strapped to their chest? Really? That sounds pretty terrible, if not unlikely, the quality would be so horrendous they should just get a fine and maybe banned from movie theaters for a couple years. The people who download and distribute this garbage should be the ones who go to jail for the crime of distributing such utter trash to poor schmucks who can't afford a $10 movie ticket.

FYI, I saw the movie in theaters opening weekend, it's better than the last couple of movies in the franchise, still pretty predictable and nothing great, the movie ends with you knowing they need to make another one...

FYI, I saw the movie in theaters opening weekend, it's better than the last couple of movies in the franchise, still pretty predictable and nothing great, the movie ends with you knowing they need to make another one...
We already know they are planning two more for the franchise and that supposedly will be it.

Excuse me?

It is LEGAL to let a friend borrow a DVD, CD, etc. It is ILLEGAL for you to charge them a fee to borrow the material, and it is ILLEGAL for you to make a copy of your DVD, CD, etc., and outright give it to your friend to keep. It is LEGAL for you to give your original to your friend to keep as long as you do not keep a copy.

Technically what these guys did is make an unauthorized copy of a movie with the intent to distribute it which falls into that ILLEGAL category.

Please look something like this up before posting about it in the future.

At one time the best place to download tv shows was a website ran by the staff of one of the major studios. They took the feed right from the main camera and there were no commercials. This was done for over 5 years before they just vanished from the net.

Excuse me?

It is LEGAL to let a friend borrow a DVD, CD, etc. It is ILLEGAL for you to charge them a fee to borrow the material, and it is ILLEGAL for you to make a copy of your DVD, CD, etc., and outright give it to your friend to keep. It is LEGAL for you to give your original to your friend to keep as long as you do not keep a copy.

Technically what these guys did is make an unauthorized copy of a movie with the intent to distribute it which falls into that ILLEGAL category.

Please look something like this up before posting about it in the future.

Yeah actually I worked in a criminal law office for many years and can tell you that although every state has different laws on this, in most states all of it is illegal regardless of if profit is made. All of these scenarios take money away from Hollywood and thus can get you into trouble. Sorry but there's no difference between me coping a DVD and passing it out to people on my block or simply sending the same CD to everyone on my block. Now that we've all seen it, and only paid once, none of us will go spend more money on it. Although never enforced, it's still illegal.

Back