Suspicious file....

By racer_x_090
Nov 2, 2006
  1. i have recently noticed a process running called update.exe. I have never noticed it before until now and when i just dialed into the internet and got connected, it attempted to access the net, but i prevented it with my firewall. Is this program/file dangerous? I have included an HJT log also if it will help anymore.
  2. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

Your HJT log is clean.

Download the Process Explorer from HERE. You should be able to find out what the update.exe is associated with. The process may be perfectly legit, on the other hand it could possibly be nasty.

Let me know the result please.

Regards Howard :)
  3. racer_x_090

racer_x_090 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 24

ok, now im a bit scared. I download the program you told me too, and it worked. But it says that Update.exe has no description or company name. what do i do now?
  4. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

I`m sorry, it seems I missed the entry in your HJT log. The update.exe file belongs to T-Online Update-Software and is considered safe.

Regards Howard :)

This thread is for the use of racer_x_090 only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.