TechSpot

SVCHOST.EXE CPU Spike - Possible Malware?

By j_merten5
Jul 25, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alright, for about the last two weeks I have had a program SVCHOST.EXE running up my CPU usage anywhere to 40-100% of its capabilities. I have tried disabling Automatic Updates using My Computer, and Process Explorer, and seeing no change, I have updated to the present in Microsoft. Now, last night I ran, SUPERAntiSpyware, Ad-Aware SE Personal, and McAfee Virus Scan. For some reason when I woke up and checked my SUPERAntiSpyware was not running anymore and neither was my McAfee Virus Scan, (My Ad-Aware SE Personal scan finished before I went to bed showing 10 critical objects, all deleted, quarintined, and replaced with clean files. No change. Now also, when I try to run /tasklist svc or /chkdsk using Start > Run and typing it in, the window pops up for about 2 seconds, and then disappears. Now I noticed in Process Explorer, going to the SVCHOST.EXE (one of about five or so) and going to the Thread tab, that the threads causing this were labeled
    kernel32.dll!CreateThread+0x22
    there 3-6 of them going at a time at the top of the CPU usage threads in SVCHOST.EXE program taking up from .96% of usage to about 23%. For about two days I tried just suspending the threads causing the problem but my computer started not being able to open programs until I unsuspended the threads and also my keyboard and mouse starting getting in a sense, a mind of their own (they are Logitech Wireless and use Bluetooth). I also rolled back IE 7 to IE 6 and Windows Media Player 11 to 10, as someone said to do on the forums I have been reading. So I don't want to do that anymore and last but not least I system restored to before my computer had this problem (July 5th) and it still had the CPU problem.

My HijackThis log file - please help, I really don't know what else I can do!

And if this is MalWare..what program would you recommend me using to delete it all?
  2. nexus6

nexus6 Newcomer, in training

3. j_merten5

j_merten5 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

done already

forgot to mention, i had MS update turned off already, suggested it on a forum i read
  4. nexus6

5. j_merten5

j_merten5 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Hmm..

Before I download this tool, are you sure that I can trust it, and what, exactly does it do?
  6. nexus6

Ubcd

I used it all the time and I have never had a problem. Use this link: http://www.ubcd4win.com/index.htm The link I provided previously is some other product with the same name. UBCD4WIN allows you to make a bootable XP cd with tons of tools to fix and repair. You will need to provide the program with a xp cd and you will need a cd burner.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.