svchost.exe Crashes at startup

Status
Not open for further replies.
The following error message pops up at startup:

The instruction at " 0x10002007" referenced memory at "0x000b3000" . The memory could not be read.

The 60-second shutdown is then initiated; this also occurs in safe mode as well.

I've attached my hijackthis log....

This error isn't consistent, either--it will happen several times in a row, for hours...but if I leave the computer alone for a while and then turn it back on, it sometimes starts up without running into the error.
Another thing is that msconfig.exe pops up every time during startup (it's seen in the hijackthis.log file, too), even though I haven't personally made any changes to boot setup.

Any help would be appreciated...!

Hi and welcome to techspot,

Sorry if your reply took longer than others after you.

Remove the O15 entries only if you did not personally add the site to your trusted zones.

Run HijackThis and fix the following entries, if found (do this by placing a tick in the check boxes beside these entries and clicking "Fix checked":

O15 - Trusted Zone: *.smc.edu
O15 - Trusted Zone: .turbotax.com[/url]
O20 - AppInit_DLLs:

May I suggest you also do the following to ensure your system is fully safe.

Important: Please read this thread HERE before you decide whether to clean or reformat your system.

Should you decide to clean your computer, please go ahead to Viruses/Spyware/Malware, preliminary removal instructions and follow the steps to cleaning your computer.
Do follow all the instructions exactly.

Thereafter, please post fresh HJT, AVG Antispyware and Combofix logs as attachments into this thread. Do not copy and paste if not it will be ignored and/or removed by the moderators.
The logs will enable us to understand more about the problems on your system.

I hope you enjoy your stay at techspot.

Regards,
Your friendly Momok =)

Alright...! Thank you--

I've fixed the AppInit_DLLS: entry (the trusted zone sites were added by me XP)

I ran all the spyware/antivirus scanners, and I uninstalled my Norton Antivirus (since it has been out of date for about 6 months already...>>)
When I ran CCleaner, too, it turns out I had about 9GB of Temporary Internet Files...oO

Also, right after installing some windows updates, the error message no longer appeared. =]

Here are the logs! Just in case there's anything else to watch out for...
Thank you again!

Hi,

You may wish to copy and paste these instructions on notepad for easier reference later.

Delete all quarantined files in the 'quarantined' folder of your AVG Antispyware.

Boot into safe mode under your normal user name. See how HERE

Next turn on "Show all files and folders, including hidden and system". See how HERE

Open your task manager by pressing holding ctrl, alt and pressing del. Alternatively, use ctrl + shift + esc. Go to the processes tab, and end the following processes, if found:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\80f29745cf.sys

Navigate in Windows Explorer and delete the following files and folders in bold.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\80f29745cf.sys

Reboot into normal mode and rehide your protected OS files.

Also, I would like you to visit this link http://virusscan.jotti.org/

Click the Browse... button and navigate to the following file:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\mf3216.dll
Click Open

Please let me know the results.

Thereafter, please post fresh HJT, AVG Antispyware and Combofix logs from normal mode as an attachment into this thread.
This is to ensure your system is fully clean and safe.

Regards,
Your friendly Momok =)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back