svchost.exe Errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I had some strange problems begin about a week ago on this 6 week old machine I built. First, the iexplore.exe process was multiplying many, many times within Task Manager. I ran a-squared's malware cleaner which seemed to solve that problem. The next problem I had was not being able to open the Windows Control Panel. I rolled my system back 1 week. Solved that problem. Got sick of Norton 2007, decided to uninstall it after the system restore.

So I uninstalled Norton IS 2007 for AVG Free, which found a number of things Norton did not. One was svchost.exe, which it said was infected with Trojan Horse Agent.CRR - I moved it into the vault. There are currently 5 svchost.exe's running in task manager. Not sure if that's right.

The virus vault also shows some other things - I've attached a log file of this as well.

I went through the 15 steps recommended in this thread. (It should be noted I ran most of those steps before finding this forum in Safe Mode previously, so this was really my second time through). All spyware app's were clean 2nd time. Anti-Rootkit found nothing. Attached are all the requested logs.

Any help or advice would be appreciated! Much thanks ;)

Your restore points are infected.

Turn off system restore.(XP/ME only) See how here.> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial56.html
Reboot, then turn system restore back on, this will remove all the infected restore points then create a fresh one.

Once done, post a fresh HJT log and i will be able to see if it has helped and what further action needs to be taken.

This thread is for the use of invisible777 only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

rik said:
Your restore points are infected.

Turn off system restore.(XP/ME only) See how here.> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial56.html
Reboot, then turn system restore back on, this will remove all the infected restore points then create a fresh one.

Once done, post a fresh HJT log and i will be able to see if it has helped and what further action needs to be taken.

This thread is for the use of invisible777 only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Hi rik,

Thanks very much for the reply. As per your instructions, I've attached a new HJ log after disabling and re-enabling System Restore.

I can see whats causing your problem but i am still in training.

I can do my best to help or you can wait until Howard is about.
I leave the choice to you.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

You might want to copy and paste these instructions into a notepad file. Then you can have the file open in safe mode, so you can follow the instructions easier.

Boot into safe mode, under your normal user name(NOT THE ADMINISTRATOR ACCOUNT). See how HERE.

In Windows Explorer, turn on "Show all files and folders, including hidden and system". See how HERE.

Go to add remove programmes in your control panel and uninstall anything to do with(if there).

Bodog Poker

Close control panel.

Click start/run and type services.msc into the run box and press the enter key.

When the window appears, maximise it. Double click on the following services(if there) and select stop if they are running. Set the startup type to disabled. Click apply/ok for each service you disable.

RpcMgr

Close the services window.

Open your task manager, by holding down the ctrl and alt keys and pressing the delete key.

Click on the processes tab and end process for(if there).

BPGame.exe

Close task manager.

Run HJT with no other programmes open(except notepad). Click the scan button. Have HJT fix the following, by placing a tick in the little box next to(if there).

O9 - Extra button: Bodog Poker - {F47C1DB5-ED21-4dc1-853E-D1495792D4C5} - G:\Bodog Poker\BPGame.exe

O23 - Service: RpcMgr - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\wins\svchost.exe (file missing)

Click on the fix checked button.

Close HJT.

Locate and delete the following bold files and/or directories(if there).

C:\WINDOWS\system32\wins\svchost.exe<Do not delete any other instance of this file.

G:\Bodog Poker<Delete the entire folder.

Reboot into normal mode and rehide your protected OS files.

1. Please download The Avenger by Swandog46 from HERE. Save it to your Desktop and extract it.

2. Download the attached avengerscript.txt and save it to your desktop

Note: the above code was created specifically for this user. If you are not this user, do NOT follow these directions as they could damage the workings of your system.

3. Now, start The Avenger program by double clicking on its icon on your desktop.

Under "Script file to execute" choose "Load script from file".
Now click on the folder icon which will open a new window titled "open Script File"
navigate to the file you have just downloaded, click on it and press open
Now click on the Green Light to begin execution of the script
Answer "Yes" twice when prompted.

4. The Avenger will automatically do the following:

It will Restart your computer. ( In cases where the code to execute contains "Drivers to Unload", The Avenger will actually restart your system twice.)
On reboot, it will briefly open a black command window on your desktop, this is normal.
After the restart, it creates a log file that should open with the results of Avenger’s actions. This log file will be located at C:\avenger.txt
The Avenger will also have backed up all the files, etc., that you asked it to delete, and will have zipped them and moved the zip archives to C:\avenger\backup.zip.

5. Please attach the content of c:\avenger.txt into your reply, as well as a fresh HJT log.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

I don't know how you do it Howard - thank for your taking so much time to help me! And thank you Rik, as well! Here are the requested logs.

Just out of curiosity, what was Bodog doing wrong?

Your HJT log is now clean.

Turn off system restore.(XP/ME only) See how HERE.

Now, turn system restore back on. This will have deleted all your old restore points and any nasties that are in them. It will also have created a new, clean restore point.

The Bodog Poker programme, like so many other poker programmes can funnel adds onto your computer. I`m not saying it`s particularly nasty, but it`s definitely not something I`d want on my system.

If you have any further virus/spyware problems, please post in this thread.

Regards Howard :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back