svchost.exe has generated errors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I have a Windows 2K professional with SP4 installed in my system. Whenever I login to the system, I get an error message stating that,"svchost.exe has generated errors and needs to be closed. A log has been created."

I have also applied the Microsoft patch KB828028 and KB823980. Could any of you guys help me on this.

I've so far not observed any hindrance because of this. Its just that I am getting something which i dont want to get.

Thanks,
Pradeep

svchost.exe has generated errors - a posible solution?

Like other victims of the svchost mischief on Windows 2000 Professional (and perhaps other Windows OSs), I tried all the available nostrums (Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 31961, Novell Technical Information Document 10051906, etc.) and downloaded and ran the W32.Blaster Removal Tool (from Symantec Security Response), as advised by pcanswers.co.uk, but to no avail. Svchost is delinquent because Microsoft and Novell did not put their heads together when MS first launched Windows 2k, and woke up to the problem only in July 2000. These esteemed corporate giants have however not thought of providing a free and effective resolution of the travails of pre-July 2000 Windows 2k users. After becoming (like Lear) a 'King of shreds and patches' in my wanderings through cyberland, and resigning myself to persistent (and lately, audacious) svchost disruption of my surfing, I recently hit upon a rather simple solution, derived from bits of info gleaned from the net. (1) Go to Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services(Local) [or else Run> SERVICES.MSC /S]. (2) Scroll down the right pane and select Remote Procedure Call (RPC). (3) On the taskbar atop the Services Window, click on the black right-pointing arrowhead, just after the Help icon. This will restart the RPC service (which stops when svchost generates errors) and then surf merrily on. (4) Repeat this every time svchost acts up. I have found this useful for up to four times in a row with svchost capers. However, this does not restore the Web-view of Folders (such as Control Panel) that is disorganised by svchost errors and also does not solve the problem of dialling-up the connection in case it switches off mid-session. Kindred sufferers, please post your experiences with this artifice and please explain the theoretics and logic thereof.

well i had this probelm (windows XP) and after a month of trying to fix it, i ended up backing up my files and formating, if anyone reads this, and u have the same problem FORMAT and save ur self a HELL of a lot of time TRUST ME (yes i even tried the windows repair with the CD, no it didnt work it jsut f***ed up my even more)

To HughJass:
You seem to be living up (phonetically) to your pseudonym. One should'nt cop out at the first hurdle. If we were to reformat at the drop of a hat, we'd be working to the script of the huge corporates which impose us with problems and then demand a price for the solution. I am firmly against reformatting. We shouldn't lose heart. Reformatting has its own price, for all the internet-updated/upgraded programs are nullified. So, my advice is: seek solutions that don't involve surrender to the strategy of the high and mighty to make a fast buck at our expense. Why should'nt Microsoft and Novell resolve the problem of svchost delinquency?

i to am a strong believer in not formating, on my other computer (which i have had for 3.5 years,) i have never formatted i have always tried to find a way around it

HughJass Bravo! I wonder if you would like to try the solution I had posted yesterday on dealing with the svchost mischief. I'd like to know whether it works on computers other than mine and, also, if it does work, WHY?

To HughJass: Please see post #5 (in this very thread), posted on May 31, 2005, under the title "svchost.exe has generated errors - a possible solution".

1st thing, i dont have windows 2000
2nd thing, your so called fix, looks like it works quite well!! :unch:
3rd thing, u asked for how i fixed the problem and i have told you, i cant make the computer ( and i certainly dont want to) go back to the state it was wen svhost was rurrined and try ur "fix" :knock:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back