svchost.exe, is my PC infected????

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Lost Chord

I am running too many processes, I know it, I suspect I have svchost trojan or infected files, here is my deal:

View attachment 15889

I used to run no more than about 33 processes, now I am almost always at 41 processes.

I have never seen so many svchost.exe's in my system, and my system has been moving pretty slow recently...any help?

Nothing to much wrong with the HJT.As long as all svchost.exes are in system 32,no problem.

Best way to speed up Windoze,is to

1.Run CCleaner,

2.Uncheck everything in msconfig start up except AVG.

3.Disable the Indexing service.

4.Disable and any other unnecessary services.

5.Use Firefox instead of IE

See HERE

Thanks! Few questions...

What do you mean by "Disable the Indexing Service"? What is this and how do I disable it?

There are supposedly some necessary processes that Google says I should NOT uncheck, why is AVG important to keep checked if it is just a downloaded program?

Thanks! Also, I cant seem to get rid of IE6, I uninstalled IE7 but IE6 still lingers files all on my computer...it does not show up in Ad/Remove programs either, but there is a folder and it cannot be deleted.

1.The Indexing Sevice is meant to make searching for files on your PC,a bit quicker.
In reality it actually slows your PC down.You can either disable the whole service
as described in the above link,or disable it locally -

Click My Computer / right click C drive / Properties /uncheck the box "allow indexing of files and folders"
then "apply to all files and folders".It might take a while to complete.

Plenty more tweaks HERE

2.Yes, there are lots of services that should be running.The link in my first post
tells you what can and cannot be disabled.Read the cautions carefully.

3.AVG is a security program.Those are the only programs that really should be
starting with Windows.Make sure you have a good firewall,by the way.Zone Alarm,Kerio or Comodo.

4.You should not even try to uninstall IE6.Just use IE7.

Description:
svchost.exe is a system process belonging to the Microsoft Windows Operating System which handles processes executed from DLLs. This program is important for the stable and secure running of your computer and should not be terminated.

In short, you aren't infected, and just do what Po`Girl suggested to be doing.

it is perfectly normal to have 5ish svchosts running
whoever, svchost is also a virus.
this slows down your computer
u will know its a virus, because u will find it in D:\documents and settings\all users\start menu\programs\startup/svchost.exe
this means it will auto start up when u startup your computer. u cannot manually delete this or move it out of start up
svchost.exe is a task that helps your computer open programs/tasks
it is also the name of a Trojan horse dropper. generic DZD

i used avg to track it

gd luck ppl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back