Svchost.exe stops desktop from showin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cpt.Samir

Well i seem to have a prob, i am running windows xp 64bit and i have several svchost.exe running, but when i restart, i get into my pw screen and i type it in, first it takes a while to get to my wallpaper, but than it just sits there. so i have to ctrl+alt+del to bring up task manager than process and go by mem usage and its the 3rd one down called svchost, and i end task and than my desktop loads and all the drivers and such, i have tried to turn off everything in the boot in msconfig but that does not work. Any ideas how i can figure out what is causing this without reformatting?? Thanks

It's normal to have several svchost processes running. (They often run a group of Windows services). You can learn more about what svchost is doing (and what services it runs) see this thread

If you want to know what is really running under SVCHOST.EXE, go to a command prompt (Start->Run-> cmd, note in Vista right click and select run as Administrator) and run:
tasklist /svc

Checking in Task Manager in Vista

You can right-click on a particular svchost.exe process, and then choose the "Go to Service" option.

(Xp & Vista)
You can use the excellent Process Explorer utility from Microsoft/Sysinternals to see what services are running as a part of a svchost.exe process.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

You can also go to Start-> Run-> services.msc
And check out all the services running

one cool advantage of Process Explorer in cases like these is in addition to usual
- list of processes and process activity
- info on services running in a process

rt click Process->Properties->Threads to get a list of threads and thread activity running with a single Process (sort of like going from a process list to zooming into sub-processes within a process) to get an even better idea of activity.

Hopefully then use the .dll listed in a thread's address (you;ll see in Threads tab) and match it to a service dll you'll find under Services tab to map high thread activity to a particular service.

EDIT: Not a fool-proof method, but can often help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back