svchost.exe

Status
Not open for further replies.

pok_17r

I am a real and i mean a real newbie to this. I just joined this forum a few days ago with a problem which Howard sorted out for me right away.:grinthumb
I have been reading through many post since:eek: i never thought there was so much to computers. Anyway could some one tell me what is svchost.exe?(simply:eek: ) I have 7 runing on my computer is that ok? I was reading in a post about it but no one actully said what it was, for everyone new what they were talking about, accept me the reader:eek:

svchost.exe is usually a legitimate process. It's a system file that handles many Windows services. Whether or not it's legitimate depends on where the file is running from.

If you suspect that your system is infected with viruses/spyware/etc, please go and read this and then post a HijackThis log as an attachment into this thread.

Regards :)

a while back there was a bad Windows update that randomly caused the svchost.exe process to eat up all of the system memory and freeze the computer. We ran into this at work - it is normal to have several instances of svchost, but if one seems to be going crazy, you may have to reinstall XP SP2 (that is the only way we got it to work correctly).

kitty500cat has hit the nail right on the head.

svchost.exe is a legit process providing it`s running from the Windows/system32 folder. It`s not unusual to have multiple instances of svchost.exe running.

If you find it anywhere else, then it`s likely malware.

Post a HJT log and we`ll be glad to look at it for you.

Regards Howard :)

Yeah, I saw that too and edited it lol.

However, you`re quite right. If the process is spelled svchhost.exe, then it is definitely malware.

Regards Howard :)

As far as I remember, svchost.exe is a process belonging to the MS Windows Operating System. It handles processes executed from DLLs. It's important for the stable and secure running of computer and should not be terminated.

In normal conditions multiple instances of Svchost.exe run at the same time. Each Svchost.exe session contains a grouping of services, so that separate services can be run depending on how and where Svchost.exe is started.

I've recently had some problems with svchost 100% CPU usage. And when I tried to shut down this process, many services such as network connections, audio drives and so on turned off... Fortunately, I've solved this problem:)

Thanks lads, sorry about the spelling. None of the svchost.exe are going mad. I dont think I have a virus or malware but to tell you the truth im so green at this, I dont even no what malware is?
You are talking to some one who never thought about these things untill I came to this site (you know press the button and the computer comes on, call the shop if something goes wrong:eek:) but it all seems so interesting. I just want to learn more but most of it just goes straight over my head but I am sure after a while it will all start to click into place.
Howard, I'd love to get inside that head of yours you seem to know so much about this I have been reading a lot of your posts mind boggling lol

Malware is basically illegitimate software that is designed to infiltrate or damage your pc without your consent.

Spyware is one of the worst and most common:

From wikipedia...

''Spyware programs are commercially produced for the purpose of gathering information about computer users, showing them pop-up ads, or altering web-browser behavior for the financial benefit of the spyware creator.''

if none of the svchost.exe processes are going mad, then don't worry about it. I myself have 7 running at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back