Swapping Cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gadget123

I will soon be building an away from home system. I want to take the Personal Cinema card from the home computer and put it in the away from home computer. I plan on using the AFH computer for TV as well if I can find a good Flat Non-LCD Monitor.

Question: What is a good, inexpensive NVidia based card for the home computer replacement? I thought of just getting a FX5200 (not sure what mfg.) so I wouldn't have regestry conflicts with the current Per.Cin. card. Any suggestions? We aren't gamers, but will be using video cam's (logitech 4000) for nightly visits.

Also, what is a decent surround sound speaker system to use with my Asus MB? Within the $150 range.

Thanks

No one has commented on my question yet. Could someone suggest an inexpensive yet good NVidia card replacement that will not conflict with the Personal Cinema Card Drivers or the registry?

Thanks

What you can do is install a 2nd card (PCI) on the home computer that you disable when the Cinema card is in.

When you're about to go away, you just re-enable the PCI card, shut down the computer, remove the cinema card & power on the machine.

Thanks for the reply. I don't mind buying another AGP card, but I know that there are conflicts associated with changing cards on a system with an existing card. That is why I wanted to get an NVidia based chipset card...uninstall drivers and software associated with my present card, then install the new card. I hope to find one for under $100.

We just need a good inexpensive NV based card and was thinking about FX5200 or Ti4200 (not sure about the maker). I just won't need the Personal Cinema TV Tuner on the Home computer.

Thanks

Problems occuring from upgrading your video card to another brand is rare at best.

I've upgraded hundreds of computers to different video cards under a variety of circumstances and have had only a few instances where there problems.

And I imagine most of these problems can be eliminated by uninstalling the drivers for your current video card FIRST, then installing the new card with the drivers afterwards.

So I wouldn't base your decision on the potential for problems. It's probably quite limiting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back