Swapping Hard Drives Between 2 Computers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a dektop computer and my father has a desktop computer. We want to switch computers but we want to keep our hard drives. When we trade computers, is it just simply taking my hard drive out and putting it in his and vice versa? My computer is running WinXP Home, on a Compaq Presario with 600 MHz, 512 MB RAM. His is a custom built computer running Win98 with 1600 MHz, 1 GB RAM (see why I want to change?) and my hard drive is 60 GB and his is 30 GB. Can the hard drives just be switched? Or is there other stuff I have to do? Will they have to be reformatted? Are my questions confusing?

If everybody could just swap hard drives like that,what a wonderful world it would be.Unfortunately,Bill Gates won`t let you.You`ll just have to copy your personal files across to his computer and vice versa.You`ll gain on the speed and RAM,but lose on the OS and hard drive space.I`d still go for it though,you can always buy another copy of XP + hard drive or even a new PC when your bank balance allows.

Most likely you'd have to do a repair install of Windows on the other computer to get it running. Ugly. Better do as Peddant said and just make a copy of your personal files.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back