Swapping windows between machines?

Status
Not open for further replies.

librium

I have a laptop that came with XP home and i bought a Vista upgrade for the laptop. I have just built a computer that needs an operating system and i am wondering if i can revert the laptop back to XP and use Vista on the new computer. I know that Vista is an upgrade and i will have to put XP on the computer before i get Vista on there, but that shouldnt be difficult. What i'm asking is will i be able to transfer the copy of Vista that i am using on this laptop right now to my new machine?

short answer - NO

They want you to buy an OS for each computer.

why not leave Vista on the laptop and install XP on the new computer

also, I do not know about Vista but an upgrade OS (XP) will go on a computer as a stand alone if put that way.

Yeah you could do it, but you'll spend a while on the phone with Microsoft to get Vista registered. Just remember it can only be on ONE machine at a time, and if you ever switch you have to call them.

thanks for the help guys, i just handled microsoft successfully :D and have 64 bit vista on this bitchin new machine. I bought 32 bit vista home premium at the store and had to have them send me the 64 bit version, which to my suprise, doesnt say upgrade on the disc! I used that to make a clean install on the new machine and reverted the laptop back to xp. Ive really enjoyed the help ive received on this forum so far and ill stick around!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back