SwiftKey's new Clarity keyboard app features full-sentence auto-correct

Shawn Knight

Staff member

swiftkey debuts clarity experimental keyboard featuring multi-word autocorrect mobile keyboard siwftkey autocorrect sentence correct grammar mobile keyboard

Predictive text keyboards often get a bad rap despite the fact that they’re designed to help speed up the texting process. One of the main knocks against predictive text is the fact that you have to stop mid-sentence to check and select suggested works over and over. For some, this constant interruption makes it difficult to get a complete thought out.

If you happen to fall into this category, SwiftKey’s new experimental mobile keyboard may be able to help.

Much like SwiftKey, Clarity is designed to help correct errors but it only does so after the fact. Unlike a traditional auto-correct keyboard, Clarity analyzes groups of words you’ve just typed to make sure they make sense in the context of your sentence. If you reach the end of a sentence and don’t agree with the auto-correct on Clarity’s behalf, simply tap the backspace key to revert to your original text.

swiftkey debuts clarity experimental keyboard featuring multi-word autocorrect mobile keyboard siwftkey autocorrect sentence correct grammar mobile keyboard

As with the original SwiftKey, Clarity also learns a user’s typing behavior over time and can pick up on things like frequently used phrases, nicknames and slang terms.

Clarity is currently available as a beta for Android users. It’s the first of the company’s SwiftKey Greenhouse releases – a new hub for experimental software – and is being released to gather feedback and test some ideas the development team has about the different ways people type.

Permalink to story.

Turning OFF any and all auto-correct is the first thing I do for every cellphone or tablet I buy. No computer or software will ever be a better spell checker than I am.

Turning OFF any and all auto-correct is the first thing I do for every cellphone or tablet I buy. No computer or software will ever be a better spell checker than I am.
I'm sure that's what certain master chess players once thought, too...

Swift key is a better spell checker when you're typing with one hand and not looking at the phone.

Swift key is great.

Swift key is a better spell checker when you're typing with one hand and not looking at the phone.

Swift key is great.

Agreed, my only complaint is the autocorrect doesn't use context. The words 'or' and 'our' are the same path on the keyboard... I wish swiftkey could figure out which one I mean to use by the context.

Agreed, my only complaint is the autocorrect doesn't use context. The words 'or' and 'our' are the same path on the keyboard... I wish swiftkey could figure out which one I mean to use by the context.

Swiftkey is not swype. It has the swype functionality, but you don't have to use it. You tap letters, you don't use the swipe motion you're thinking of. With Swiftkey you just hit keys in the general area of where the correct key is and it will guess the right words. It's more than just auto correct. You can hit every letter wrong and it will get the right word anyways. And on top of that, it predicts common phrases and predicts phrases based on your texting habits. So if you say the same things over and over to people, it learns that, then predicts those words when you start a similar sentence. Sometimes you can hit three or four letters total and type out a whole sentence. Swiftkey has a good deal of the context aware suggestions already in place that you're asking for.

That's not to say swiftkey doesn't have it's faults. It has a learning curve and it takes a minute for you to get used to it. Where swiftkey falls on it's face is that it can be difficult to type words that aren't in the dictionary like slang, model numbers, brand names, etc. When you type this kind of stuff you have to slow down and hit every key properly. But to it's credit, it remembers it later so the next time you enter it it will be in the dictionary. There's also times when punctuation can be a chore but I think punctuation is always a chore on a touch screen no matter what you use. Swiftkey gets it right most of the time but not always. It's definitely better than not using it.

Swift key is great.

Maybe it'll do it now with this new nifty feature.

I switched to Swiftkey the moment it became free and I gave it a glowing review on Google Play with 5 stars. They thanked me and gave me 5 free skins that normally cost $. I was very touched so I opened my (Google) wallet and bought more.
I've tried all these keyboard apps (well known ones) and nothing comes close to Swiftkey. It works well for me because I use just 1 finger to type on a touchscreen.

I have been using Swiftkey for almost 5 years now. It works they way I need it to. The more you use it, the more it will detect the way you type and say things. I would say only about 5% of the time, I need to physically type in a word for it to get the word right. I'm willing to give this one a try too.

Back