TechSpot

Switch operating Systems

By geoffatmhg
Sep 17, 2002
  1. I am running Win 2000 Pro. Certain software will not run under this OS. I have tried the compatibility mode & it still wont work. Does anyone know if there is any software available that will allow me to either partion my HD so I can install & run a second OS say Win98 SE or Me, OR as I have a second HD installed, a different OS to the 2nd Drive to allow me to run the software in question. What I dont want to do is have to reboot every time. I want to be able to flip via Explorer from one drive or partion to the other which will have a different OS & run the software. Its a tall order I know. I have at present 256 Ram + 1.2 mhg processor. I would increase if needs be

Thanks

Geoff

2. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,916   +9

I'm not aware of anything that would allow you to start a new operating system like that, but maybe something like VMWare Workstation could do.

3. Vehementi

Vehementi TechSpot Paladin Posts: 3,199

I assume you mean while booted into one OS you can immediately flip to the other...That would be nice. Very nice. But, I think your only option is to just reboot and select which OS you want to run. Yes, it is fairly annoying, but I think that's your only option. I don't know of any way to do it, but if anyone does I'd love to know! Especially while swapping between Windows and Linux.

4. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,745

One optoin might be trying to run in compatibility mode. Right click on sometihng and goto properties, then goto the compatibility tab. Choose Win98 or whatever it needs to be run in. But I am pretty sure there is no way to go between 2 different OS's whithout rebooting. Only thing I have heard of is like VirtualPC in Mac you can emulate windows XP, but that is the only thing.

5. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,626   +320

Not in 2k.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.