switched hard drives/windows not starting up

Status
Not open for further replies.
here is the background story...i had a 40G hard drive in my dell dimension 4300 that i swapped out a year ago for a larger hard drive. my mother the other day gave me her old dell dimension 4100 that she took her hard drive out of. so i put the old 40G in that one (the 4100) last night and now i am getting the message on start up of "WE APOLOGIZE FOR THE INCONVENIENCE, BUT WINDOWS DID NOT START SUCCESSFULLY. A RECENT HARDWARE OR SOFTWARE CHANGE MIGHT HAVE CAUSED THIS." then it gives me options to start windows.

SAFE MODE;
SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING;
SAFE MODE WITH COMMAND PROMPT;
LAST KNOWN GOOD CONFIGURATION;
START WINDOWS NORMALLY;
everytime i click any of these options it pulls up a loading bar and once the loading
bar is full it doesn't do anything else like it is locked. when i try any of the
safe mode options it pulls up a list and then stops and i can't do anything else.
any suggestions? the OS on the old 40G was XP although i believe my mother was running ME on the computer before pulling the hard drive...not sure itf that matters. all help is greatly appreciated and thank you in advance.

i have researched on this forum and i have found that everyone gets this blue screen...i however, do not. hope this helps too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back