switching between automatic and manual dns in windows xp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Twice in the past 3 months or so my ISP's DNS server has went down. When this happens I set my DNS manually using IP's from a couple of open DNS servers. As the DNS outage only lasts a couple of days I like to change it back to automatic and use their DNS server as it's faster. My question is everytime I switch it back to manual DNS I have to retype the IP numbers in, and is there a way to keep them set, but not use them unless the automatic DNS isn't working? Better yet would be an option where the automatic is primary and an open DNS is secondary, allowing me to be even more lazy and not have to change the DNS manually.
Thanks

You can add the numbers below your ISp's. Go to your network connection Select Properties | Internet protocol (TCP/IP) Click Advanced | DNS tab. Add the numbers and use the arrows to order them.

Thanks, but I've already done the above. The problem is if I ever select to use the automatic DNS again it erases what I've put in manually. I would like to have those saved so I wouldn't have to retype them or even better have XP use the open DNS whenever my ISP's server is down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back